copperband butterfly

Discussion in 'Reef Fishes' started by mm2meyer, Oct 14, 2010.

1. mm2meyer

mm2meyer

Hey guys! I was at my lfs and seen that they had a copperband butterfly. I know their main diet is aiptasia but I asked the guys to feed him and he took some frozen mysid, but he wasn't very eager to go after it. From what I understand they are a little more timid when it comes to feeding. They're only asking 25 bucks for him. I have some aiptasia that I can see but not sure exactly how much I have. I was a lil excited to see him take the mysid, I just wanted some more input on it. I'm only asking because I seen him take frozen food. Whatya think give it a shot or pass? And how hard would it be to get aiptasia if things go south?

mm2meyer, Oct 14, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. mm2meyer

BL1 ............. Moderator

Copperbands seem to be hit or miss. Most don't adapt well to diets with only frozen foods but occasionally people have success with them. I think if things did go south that it would be difficult to find enough aiptasia to sustain the fish long term.

BL1, Oct 14, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. mm2meyer

mm2meyer

Hmm.....exactly how much aiptasia we talking about?

mm2meyer, Oct 14, 2010
  4. mm2meyer

OhNoNemo i love triggers

I agree,i have never heard of a success story with a copperband,by that i mean a year+...not sure what most consider a success ,but i like to think under a year, just isn't..

OhNoNemo, Oct 14, 2010
    Rufio808 likes this.
  5. mm2meyer

wontonflip I failed Kobayashi Maru

I think they eat the qtip sponges, too. I always loved copperbands, but would never get one due to their dietary needs.

wontonflip, Oct 14, 2010
  6. mm2meyer

the reef kid hi

I've seen two instances where a copperband has done well...one was at a public aquarium, so I guess that doesn't quite count, and the other with a guy who has a 500+ gal. If you do decide to get one, good luck! you'll need it fom what I've read...

the reef kid, Oct 14, 2010
  7. mm2meyer

reeffreak

I had a copperband for around a year and a half.It took care of the thousands of aiptasia and majano anemones in my tank.It also did a number on zoas and clove polyps and everything that resemble aips and majanos.If it is already eating frozen your chances are good that it will survive long term.It took several months for mine to eat frozen and it became just as aggressive as the other fish when it came to feeding time.

reeffreak, Oct 15, 2010
  8. mm2meyer

mm2meyer

hmm.....might have to think about it, just wasn't too confident with the lack of eagerness to go after food.

mm2meyer, Oct 15, 2010
  9. mm2meyer

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

The longest I've been able to keep a Copperband was around 9 or 10 months.And he would go crazy over frozen foods.Even though he did eat whatever I offered,he just wasted away.

yote, Oct 15, 2010
  10. mm2meyer

mm2meyer

Ok, so no go on the fish. But my question is what is their natural diet? Is it just aiptasia? Or are there other food items as well?

mm2meyer, Oct 19, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question