Coral and Invertebrate aquarium

Yoimbrian

Reefing newb
Hello!

I am a long time aquarium lover, hopefully soon to be aquarium owner, and first time poster.

First off, the two things I am most interested in keeping are eels and crabs. I have spent a good deal of time looking for both in the wild (eels during scuba diving trips, and I even caught one by hand in a cave in New Zealand - crabs along the beach on the east coast / west coast / Caribbean). I know in general you can't house them together since the eel will eat the crab, so I don't plan on it. My long term goal is to have 2 aquariums, a smaller one (50-100 gallon) with the crabs, and a larger one (200-300 gallon) with an eel and lion fish (or similar large predatory fish). I plan on starting with the smaller one for cost and experience reasons, and in addition I may be moving in a year or two into hopefully the house I will spend the next 20 years in.

So, my questions:

-Lots of people seem to be against crabs in aquariums - why?
-Most websites where you purchase them claim they are reef safe (most species), but then forums will say they are not safe because they walk on reefs and damage them. Which is true?
-What kind of crab would be best to keep in an aquarium?
-How many crabs could I have in the aquarium (again, this would be the primary resident as far as bioload goes)
-Would it be safe to also have a sea cucumber?
-Are there other functional additions to the tank? Such as snails for cleaning purposes
-Should I / could I have a few fish as well? Not much, such as 1 or 2 clown fish or wrasse.

Thanks for any input

Hello!

I am a long time aquarium lover, hopefully soon to be aquarium owner, and first time poster.

First off, the two things I am most interested in keeping are eels and crabs. I have spent a good deal of time looking for both in the wild (eels during scuba diving trips, and I even caught one by hand in a cave in New Zealand - crabs along the beach on the east coast / west coast / Caribbean). I know in general you can't house them together since the eel will eat the crab, so I don't plan on it. My long term goal is to have 2 aquariums, a smaller one (50-100 gallon) with the crabs, and a larger one (200-300 gallon) with an eel and lion fish (or similar large predatory fish). I plan on starting with the smaller one for cost and experience reasons, and in addition I may be moving in a year or two into hopefully the house I will spend the next 20 years in.

So, my questions:

-Lots of people seem to be against crabs in aquariums - why?
Crabs are opportunistic feeders and given the chance, can or will eat other inverts or fish in the tank.
-Most websites where you purchase them claim they are reef safe (most species), but then forums will say they are not safe because they walk on reefs and damage them. Which is true?
Again, it has nothing to do with them walking on the reefs or corals it's just the possibility of them going after something you don't want them to.
-What kind of crab would be best to keep in an aquarium?
There are plenty of crabs that people do keep in their tanks porcelain crabs, and emerald crabs being some of the most common.
-How many crabs could I have in the aquarium (again, this would be the primary resident as far as bioload goes)
Crabs don't really count towards the bioload so it's hard to say that there's an actual limit.
-Would it be safe to also have a sea cucumber?
Shouldn't be a problem
-Are there other functional additions to the tank? Such as snails for cleaning purposes
Sure, fish and snails/hermits are functional for different reasons
-Should I / could I have a few fish as well? Not much, such as 1 or 2 clown fish or wrasse.
In a 50-100 gallon tank you could easily have 5-12 or so fish ... it all depends on the size tank you have.

Thanks for any input

I've answered your questions up top in red. The most commonly kept crabs in the hobby would be almost lost in a 50-100 gallon tank. I think if you're planning on a crab tank you should look smaller scale. Unless you know of a larger species of crab that you can acquire and showcase in a large tank like that. But again, the most common ones in the hobby really only get to an inch or two long.

BL has you covered but in my experience I must say I love my crabs for the most part.

The emerald and porcelain crabs are my favorites. I stopped by hermits a long time ago though because they do kill snails to take their shells and I have found my snails to be better at cleaning. None of my crabs have ever messed with my corals.

Back