coral banded shrimp

kevinsimons

Reefing newb
OK, you guys were right - the critter has become a problem. He devoured two filefish that were introduced 2 days ago (his guts feature flourescent colors right now)... I am now playing God, and he must leave.

Question is - how does God catch the little bugger? He recognizes a net for what it is - and avoids it handily. I tried capturing him with a siphon hose, to no avail. Short of taking everything out of the tank, I'm at a loss as to how to get him out. Is there a trap anybody has devised that I can lure him into?

shrimp are pretty smart and i have never needed to take one out so i have no first hand experience at this but the fish stores know how to do it pretty well so im going to suggest what they do, get your hand wet and go after him with your hand

or you could just get a predator that adores shrimp! but then again, your snails, crabs, and all other inverts would be at risk for sure! okay, bad suggestion....

Take a 2 liter soda bottle and cut the top off where it starts to taper up. Flip the top that you just cut off over and put it back on the bottle. You can glue or tape the 2 pieces together. You will have what looks like a funnel going into the bottle. Put a piece of fresh shrimp in the bottle and put it in the tank. The shrimp will be able to squeeze in thru the hole, but won't find the hole fast enough to escape once it's in there eating the shrimp. Remove bottle with shimp inside. :)

Now the hard part is going to be keeping the cleaner shrimp out... but she's pretty easy to capture (insert hand in tank, wait for manicure)...I'll just isolate her during the capture of the evil CBS. Now, does anybody have any good recipes? Dredge in flour and deep fry????:evil!?!?::evil!?!?::evil!?!?:

Not enough meat there to deep fry.
I've tryed using the coke bottle trap for a mantis.But its not worked yet.So all I can really say,is good luck catching it.

I must have a really dumb CBS. Mine gets in the way of everything. I can touch him with the net while trying to catch someone else, he moves a little but mainly just flails his big arms around at the net.

If you try to catch the CBS barefisted, beware the pinchers! IME heh heh. Truthfully that was the toughest thing to catch when I moved all my livestock to a bigger tank. Looking back I should have drained the tank some and removed all the LR first. Hindsight 20/20! Good luck catching him! I'll never buy one again

GOT HIM. RIP. Begone, evil creature. I bought myself some latex gloves (washed carefully, of course), then I removed a couple of my largest rocks and managed to nab the little bugger. Amazing now how the fish are starting to populate the side of the tank where the CBS lurked.

Back