Coral Beauty

cthegame

Reef enthusiast
My coral beauty is showing signs of some kind of problem. Dont know what it is or what i should do.

He is being very lethargic and has developed some kind of black spot on both sides. Like a small ink stain on both sides.

He did eat last night but now is acting more lazy and didnt eat when i tried to test to see if he would eat today...

Other than that, his breathing and colors are ok. No other fish is bother him. All other fish and inverts are doing fine.

Has anyone ever encountered this problem with the black spots? Its not like ich, it just one ink splash on both sides...really weird.

Im affraid to stress him out more by trying to catch it. Should i let it be? or take him out?

The yellow tang I had did that.He died within 12 hours of showing signs.
How long have you had the coral beauty?

I'd say a good 3 months. and this problem was noticed over 48 hours ago.

Is this some kind of infection? I cant seem to find anything about it when i do my searches.

If you'd just got the fish,I would say it was cyanide.But since you've had it for 3 months,I'm gonna says its either an internial parasite or bacterial infection.( just guessing).
If you can,you might try setting up a hospital tank and treating it.
Hopefully some body with more experince will have a better idea.

sounds like a bacteria infection. you have two problems to face at this point. trying to catch it and treat it (or try to catch it and stressing it out to the point that it just dies) or dosing the whole tank to heal it. I have had great success with treating bacterial infections with Melafix. If you don't think you can catch it, you can dose the entire tank, which can be a bit scary as your inverts will not be happy with you. Melafix is supposed to be reef safe and I have not lost a coral to it yet. I have heard some people losing xenia when using it. It works in about 1 week, if your fish lasts that long. Some bacterial infections work really fast, others take their time. It is up to you if you want to risk catching it or dosing the whole tank. Don't forget to do a 20-25% water change after treatment and turn off your skimmer or you will get bubbles and foam like you have never seen.

The first sign to worry about a fish health is not eating. If he has stopped, that is not good. Is it worth it to you to try to save it? for me, a $30 fish does not justify risking hundreds of dollars of corals. I would leave it be and if it dies, buy another one. If you have few if any corals, dose with confidence

-Doc

Catching it is my biggest problem. Or else i would have put him the QT by now. I dont feel to secure dosing the entire tank either just because i dont want to remove all the rocks.

You're right doc, its a tough situation. I know that he is not getting any better. Damn, i guess i will have to leave him alone. Trying to catch him now would weaken him more.

I agree. let nature run its course. if he goes, wait two weeks and try another. luckily they are not $120 angelfish!!! - heaven knows I have lost enough of those in my time!!!

-Doc

:death:R.I.P.:death: little CB. :grumble::grumble::grumble:

Time of death: unknown

Time of found dead being eaten by hermits: 11:30 am. Boy those guys really take their janitor work seriously. :D

Time to move on: right now. anyone have any suggestions for a replacement? I dont want another CB. Something as pretty and active but less fragile. Current fish: 2 clowns, 1 yellow tang and 1 hippo tang.

Thanks! :bowdown:

sorry about that. Glad you are ready to move on. are you looking for another pygmy angelfish, like a flame or potters? How about a fairy wrasse?

-Doc

I do love the look of the flame angels. But arent they a little expensive? Also, are they more or less hardy than the coral beauty?

Does the fact that i took out the carbon from my canister filter have anything to do with the CB betting sick? Its been a little less than a week that i stopped using carbon (just to see how things turn out, because i would prefer to use the pump for maximum flow) and a day or two later the coral beauty got sick. All other fish are fine so could it be just a coincidence?

Thank.

I doubt it was the carbon. it should not effect the fish at all. As for the flame, they are about $10 more than a CB here. They are more hardy IMHO, but that will vary from fish to fish. I think they are a great addition

-Doc

I doubt it was the carbon. it should not effect the fish at all. As for the flame, they are about $10 more than a CB here. They are more hardy IMHO, but that will vary from fish to fish. I think they are a great addition

-Doc

Man here the flames are 5.00 more than double. CB here 25.00 everynow and then 20.00 and the flame gor for 55.00.

huh. weird. I guess stuff is just cheaper in Utah, cuz we are so close to the ocean...:bounce:

really. Flame angels are about $40 here and CB are between $25-$30.

-Doc

I remember seeing a flame angel a few months ago at petco of all places for $55.

The Coral Beauty goes for around $25.

But i think i want to give the flame angel a try. As soon as i have the extra cash, i will go and buy one (not from "Pethoe" of course).

Flame Angels are great fish.I like mine.
Around here,Coral Beautys go for about 30 to 40.But a Flame will run you 80 bucks.

Flame Angels are great fish.I like mine.
Around here,Coral Beautys go for about 30 to 40.But a Flame will run you 80 bucks.

$80??? Gees. To bo heonest, im having a hard time accepting that location will have such a deep price increase. Sure a little more for the transportation of the fish, etc...But to charge doubble is rediculous. Thats almost 50% profit for them. Thats crazy expensive.

I have no idea why they cost so much here.But all 3 of the LFS here run within $5.00 of each other on Flames.

50% mark up? Have you seen the price list? flames cost about 10 dollars to the LFS here. If your LFS gets from direct importers, they make TONS of money

-Doc

Back