Coral Dipping?

Not really.
A freshwater dip will take care of most coral predators and flatworms though.While Lugols will help with any infection the coral might have.

I'm trying to get hair algae and red slime algae off the coral pieces in my 14 gallon (which is overrun by algae) so that I can transfer the corals algae-free to the algae-free 46 gallon. Any suggestions, or am I screwed?

Dipping them won't get rid of the algae, unfortunately. Your best bet is to pull it all off by hand. You can use tweezers to get into the hard-to-reach nooks and crannies. It's a pain in the ass.

If I try pulling it all off and miss a bit of hair algae or red slime I'm gonna start an algae problem in the 46 gallon, though...

There's no better way?

No matter what you do, you will not be able to get every piece of algae off. If the new tank has good water quality, the algae will die off instead of growing.

I've never heard of that stuff. The hair algae (and now red slime) has completely overrun my 14 gallon. I've been battling it for 7-ish months now and am at the point of giving up. I was just thinking about making an LFS trip, though, I'll keep an eye out for the Marine SAT!

Get yourself a NEW hardbristled tooth brush.Then you can scrub 99.9% of the algae off before you transfer your stuff over.

It's unlikely that your LFS will carry Marine SAT. I have only ever heard of it being sold online. But you should try it! It's not expensive at all -- around $12 a bottle or so.

I've tried chaeto, a UV sterilizer, huge water changes, blackout periods, Chemi-pure elite, Purigen, pulling the crap out by hand, removing the rocks one by one and brushing the algae off...
...The algae always comes right back with a vengeance. :grumble:

As for the Marine SAT, I think I will order it and give it a shot.

Marine SAT will take a little while to kick in and start working, but if you follow the directions, I think it works really really well. It's worth a shot if you've tried everything else!

The algae keeps coming back, because something is wrong. Throwing chemicals/treatments at it may have a temporary effect, but I think you're better off finding the source.

I'd check your rodi water (after it comes out of the filter) for phophates and nitrates. Try raising your pH to 8.4, a higher pH can help stop some forms of algae.

I believe I know what the problem is. I originally bought bad live rock from a pet store near my house. I bought the rock already with hair algae not knowing that hair algae was a bad thing... :grumble: At the time I thought the hair algae looked kinda cool and thought that it would provide food for my snails. Stupid mistake...

I believe that the rock was never properly cured and that they are the phosphate and nitrate source...

My water is RO/DI and reads at exactly 0.00, so that's not the issue...

Back