Coral Dips - What's in then & what's the best?

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
I've heard that I should dip my Zoas (now dead most likely from bacterial infection) in Lugol's, Furan-II, Hydrogen Peroxide (20% solution), fresh water, and etc.

What's in these dips? Which is the best? Are some suited better to certain situations?

I`m not a big fan of FW dips for anything. Fish or corals. The only kind of dip I participate in is iodine dips for leather corals only. I really dont know enough to comment on the others. I just know I`ve never seen too many successful FW dips so I dont recommend them.

lugols is iodine and when you dip it is a high concentration witch is like an antiseptic. it kills many things at the theriputic levels.

fresh water dips kill many thing like little bugs that cannot handle fresh water and some corals can not handle a fresh dip very well at all.

there are many meds and different things that threat different problems with fish and corals. i think the best thing to do is give corals a good soak in lougls since it kills most everything

I use Lugols iodine and soak all new softies and LPS.All new zoos get a 10 second bath under the tap,then the lugols soak.
Like James said,the iodine is an antiseptic that'll help any infection and bacteria.The tap bath will wash things like nudis off of zoanthids.

I use Lugols iodine and soak all new softies and LPS.All new zoos get a 10 second bath under the tap,then the lugols soak.
Like James said,the iodine is an antiseptic that'll help any infection and bacteria.The tap bath will wash things like nudis off of zoanthids.
so you put zoahs under untreated tap water? :shock:

Originally Posted by yote

tap water? really? is that okay?

so you put zoahs under untreated tap water? :shock:

All the time at the store.As long as the temps close,the fresh water aint gonna hurt anything but any predators that might be feeding on the colony.
We do all the new zoanthids that come in,that way were not passing them on to customers.

[/I]

tap water? really? is that okay?

Havent killed a frag yet doing that,and been doing it for close to 3 years now.

well i wont do it in my house. we have a lot of copper piping. so im not even going to risk it when i do go pick up my zoas later this week

When I moved the rock from my 240 a couple weeks ago, a lot of the rocks had huge colonies of majanos. So I just dumped those rocks in tubs of fresh tap water to soak for a week.

Guess what freakin survived soaking in tap water for a week. A colony of button polyps. I was amazed.

I dip all corals before I introduce them in my display tank in TM Pro Coral Cure which is an iodine based dip. The dip helps prevent the introduction of flat worms in your tank and also acts as an antiseptic and hopefully prevent/treat tissue necrosis in damaged corals.

Back