coral does not open

algy1943

Reefing newb
Just purchased a Sun Coral, bought it on the knowledge that it likes shade and only opens at night when it likes being fed, anyone know much about these corals and what they like?

algy1943

Look at it at night. They are usually not open when the lights are on. They also need to be fed every other night meaty type foods such as brine shrimp or mysis. I would love to have one of em myself but the amount of time needed to take care of a sun coral is just to much for me. I find it ironic that they call em "sun" corals.

Mine would open up at night but also about a half hour after feeding the tank. They have to be target fed so make sure that no matter when they are opening up that you feed them.

Yep, if you don't feed them yourself every other day then they won't survive. They are non-photosynthetic so they get no nutrition from the light like other corals do.

Look at it at night. They are usually not open when the lights are on. They also need to be fed every other night meaty type foods such as brine shrimp or mysis. I would love to have one of em myself but the amount of time needed to take care of a sun coral is just to much for me. I find it ironic that they call em "sun" corals.

Just looked at it and it was open, fed it with cyclops, seemed to love it, thanks, bit of a pain that you can only enjoy it is at night at least my led's have a moon light setting which it seems to like.

algy1943 (Allen)

Yep, if you don't feed them yourself every other day then they won't survive. They are non-photosynthetic so they get no nutrition from the light like other corals do.

Thanks Sarah, just fed it with cyclops, seemed to like it, my pink goniopora seems to be dying, now only opens around the base of it's ball, any thing I can do?

Allen

Probably not. Gonis are very difficult corals to keep and have a very poor track record in this hobby. Have you been feeding it? They won't survive without feedings.

Gonis are somewhat photosynthetic, but they do need supplemental feedings to survive. And they are very slow eaters. A good trick is to cut off the bottom of a plastic soda bottle and put that on top of the goni during feeding time. Then squirt the food in through the top of it and put the cap on the top of the bottle. This will allow the goni to have plenty of time with the food without other fish and flow interfering. Even if you do this, the success rate of gonis in captivity is extremely low. They are considered one of the most, if not the most, difficult corals to keep in this hobby and very few lucky people manage to keep one for more than a month or two.

Gonis are somewhat photosynthetic, but they do need supplemental feedings to survive. And they are very slow eaters. A good trick is to cut off the bottom of a plastic soda bottle and put that on top of the goni during feeding time. Then squirt the food in through the top of it and put the cap on the top of the bottle. This will allow the goni to have plenty of time with the food without other fish and flow interfering. Even if you do this, the success rate of gonis in captivity is extremely low. They are considered one of the most, if not the most, difficult corals to keep in this hobby and very few lucky people manage to keep one for more than a month or two.

Wow I buy some difficult species, didn't go out to buy one but it looked so nice in the lfs I couldn't resist, must ask the sellers if things I am going to buy are likely to survive.
Perhaps you can help me with this enigma, I am now making my own RO water and using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals, they recommend 33g per litre, when I test the density 24hrs later I only get a reading of 1.020/1 is that too low for a water change?

thanks

Allen

Last edited:
It is too low. When you add salt, their recommendations are not going to be exact. You're going to have to add some, then test, then add salt or water again to adjust. You should try to get it up around 1.025. So just add a bit more salt, mix it up and test again in a few hours.

It is too low. When you add salt, their recommendations are not going to be exact. You're going to have to add some, then test, then add salt or water again to adjust. You should try to get it up around 1.025. So just add a bit more salt, mix it up and test again in a few hours.

Sarah, how many grams per litre do you mix to achieve your parameters?

Allen

I don't do grams per liter, but I do do cups per gallon. ;). It comes out to around 1/2 cup per gallon. But each time you do it it's different. It depends on the salt brand, the batch of salt, the water temperature, etc.

I don't do grams per liter, but I do do cups per gallon. ;). It comes out to around 1/2 cup per gallon. But each time you do it it's different. It depends on the salt brand, the batch of salt, the water temperature, etc.

I seem to have to put more IO reef crystals per litre than the Seachems salt to get my 1.024, with the Seachems 34g/L gives me 1.024 first time and the crystals are a whole lot more expensive. My density won't increase when I warm the water up to tank temperature will it?

Allen :frustrat:

Last edited:
yes! you should be measuring your new water at the same temperature OR adjusting your reading for the temperature difference.. it should say in the manual of your hydrometer or Refractometer.. although some refractometers if thats what you're using have auto compensation

my Linckia Laevigata

Sarah, I seem to be hell bent on buying animals that seem to have little hope of survival, what with my H.Crispa, my Goniopora,and now my blue star fish, with the star fish how do I feed it when it has hidden away in the live rock since, any suggestions? :frustrat:
Allen

You could try luring it out. But other than that, there's really no way to force it to eat if it has decided to go into hiding.
With what do you suggest might tempt him out without the other greedy fish stealing it, the tangs will steal anything, would you suggest another couple of fish that would settle in with my crowd?

Allen

Back