Coral Feeding Question

dcantucson

Reef pro
Just curious about the procedure you consider the best in feeding corals? I have attempted various ways and I am not sure what works best or is the most effective. I have left the sump returns running but I feel a lot of food gets filtered out. I have turned the returns (power heads in my case) off and placed actual power heads into the tank so to keep the circulation going. And finally I have turned everything off and turkey bastered everything.

I don't know which case is best and was wondering what those of you that have a lot of coral do. What procedure do you use?

And while we are at it. What food do you use to feed you corals?

Thanks in advance to everyone.

I don't turn anything off...but then again I don't feed my corals anything. ;)
My tangs have a habit of taking a dump in front of a Koralia 4...which does a nice job dispersing the "food" throughout the tank.

Lol. That's funny capt, about your tangs.

I turn my sump return off but keep my powerheads going. I spot feed my Duncan, Elegance and Micromussa mysis shrimp mixed with cycopleeze. Then I'll swirl in some more cycopleeze in the water. I'm probably going to start feeding krill though cuz the corals are getting larger and I'd like to give them larger pieces of food.

DC - are you the one who feeds your fuzzy mushroom? Or is that someone else?

I'll spot feed my duncans and galaxea with mysis.Everything else get either frozen rotifers or cyclops,which I just hold the cube in front of one of the K4s and let mix in the tank.
I dont turn anything off either.

I don't turn anything off...but then again I don't feed my corals anything. ;)
My tangs have a habit of taking a dump in front of a Koralia 4...which does a nice job dispersing the "food" throughout the tank.

I`m with Larry on that. I dont feed my corals either. They get all they need from the lighting and water column.

I don't spot feed most of my corals. I add cyclops or cyclopeeze (frozen) every other day for my corals and pipefish.

However I do spot feed my brains, duncans and dendros. maybe once a week.

....or if you like I could dry it and send it in powder form :scratchch

I could call-it Slim Tang or Tangy Poop Jerkey...ok so it's not original, but at least it gives me something else to photoshop later if I get bored :mrgreen:

I have a mixed LPS and SPS tank and I alternate feeding using a few products including TM Pro-Coral Phyton ,Pro-Coral Zooton, frozen cyclops and mysis. As the names suggest, one is a phyto plankton like product and the other is a zooplankton like food product for corals and I have seen a substantial benefit from using both.

Last edited:
Back