Coral Food I Made.

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
Like many people that have corals I decided I would get this and that because it says it makes your corals grow the best.

I used Fuel which I personally think was decent, I used Coralvite which I stopped using quickly and will toss out, I also have 2 Little Fishes Marine Snow which I actually think is decent as well but hardly use.

I am a person who doses hardly with that stuff. I think I used Fuel maybe one time a month or every 3 weeks. Mostly because I forget and nothing I have is in need of much.

I dosed with Kent Strotium and Moly before as well because I thought my one SPS would benefit from it. I now have 2 SPS corals and I am keeping it around just in case. Plus I got one of those large containers of it cheap.

Overall I will keep my Marine Snow and Kent Strotium but not the Coralvite. I would also use Fuel again if it was on sale.

THis is just based of what I feel I have seen or my experience with them.

This leads me to the main point of the thread. I have read many times how people make their own coral food mixes and save money doing it.

Now while I never wrote anything down I was at the store the other day and said what the heck, let me snag some seafood and make something.

I bought 3 types of clams that were all live and some real scallops. It was only a total of 6 clams and 10 scallops.

I took them home and cut them up into small small small pieces and then took my fork and mushed them up into almost a paste. I then took one of my frozen empty cube trays and mushed it into squares and wrapped it and threw it in the freezer.

I did before this feed my brain coral some clam and a little pice of scallop and it ate it up quick. I haven't fed it like that in 4 months. I also gave my Anemone a piece of scallop.

I did toss a few tiny pieces of half a scallop cut up in the tank and the fish wold eat it and spit it out but it was mainly for the Brittle star and other things living in there. They all came out for a treat. I saw the Brittles arm swing out and take in a large chuck.

I even saw some landed on the Ricordea and it slowly worked it over to it's mouth.

My main idea for doing this was so I could just toss this cube in one time a week and it would feed the corals but I was thinking even with a paste it has lumps and may be efficient in getting to them. It may also dodge the oveflow longer than a liquid form.

Anyone have any ideas, suggestions or comments on what I have done or do.

Thanks

I think that was a good idea...me personally would have used the blender to get a more consistent size in the pieces of food. I think your tank benefits better from making your own foods, because there are less unknown additives in it and it's much fresher.

I use the coralvite right now once a week. But I've never used anything else so far so idk if its having any effect on my corals. May I ask why you don't like it?

You said you used "fuel", is that from that seachem line of products?

Yeah I believe so. It is like supposed to be the better line of stuff but I think they just made a new look. I am not actually familiar with anything else they make.

I use the coralvite right now once a week. But I've never used anything else so far so idk if its having any effect on my corals. May I ask why you don't like it?

I tried to find out as much as I could and basically there is nothing worth it in there to put it in the tank. There are far better things you could use.

Back