Coral Growth

WannaRace

Reefing newb
Hey guys,

As much as I hate to admit it, I don't think I've noticed a change in growth in any of my corals. Tank has been running now for 6 months, corals have been with me at least 3 months. They include the following: GSP, short tent. plate coral, torch coral, frogspawn, green button polyps, orange spot zoas, and purple mushroom (although I have no complaint about this one, has sprouted another mushroom and considerable amount of growth). All the others have been a disappointment as of right now. Is there anything I can do to promote the growth? I target feed most with mysis shrimp and once a week with marine snow. Lights: T-5 156 watts, 30 gallon tank.

Does anyone have pictures of corals at start and 3 months later? It would help me compare. Thanks for any help!

Keep calcium,akalinity,pH where they should be and your eventually see growth.The only fast growers I see on your list are zoas and GSP.It could be worst,they could be growing like weed and you might regret it.

I'll see if I can come up with some pics.

BTW, I am running carbon 24/7

Params:
PH 8.2
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Ammonia 0
Temp: 78-79

Unfortunately, calcium and dkh are the only ones that I don't know which I understand is very important in coral growth :) However, I thought with regular water changes they don't need to be supplemented anyway.

I bought the GSP as a tiny, thin frag. All they have done is thickened their branches, but not multiply in numbers. Zoas haven't spread much either but they pretty much outgrew their rock, so I moved them onto a much larger rock. BTW, I understand zoas don't need to be fed anything but light, however is there anything they accept?

BTW, I am running carbon 24/7

Params:
PH 8.2
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Ammonia 0
Temp: 78-79

Unfortunately, calcium and dkh are the only ones that I don't know which I understand is very important in coral growth :) However, I thought with regular water changes they don't need to be supplemented anyway.

That all depends on what brand salt your using.
Some brands are low on calcium and alkalinity,while some are high.

I am using Instant Ocean, I keep salinity around .023-.024.

What are the test solutions called to measure calcium and DKH? Is Aquarium Pharmaceuticals KH/Carbonate and calcium test kit the right one?

Right there is your problem.
When I used Instant Ocean,it was always low on calcium.Since I started using Oceanic my calcium hasnt dropped below 420.

That kit will work.As long you ot an idea where your levels are at.
You can also have your LFS run the test for you.

For a reef setup,a calcium and akalinity test kit is a must.I'm with Yote,it could very well be your salt.IO is known to be low on calcium,fine for a lightly stocked reef and fish only.No way to be sure unless you get some test kits.

I'm kicking myself now because I just got a huge bucket that will probably last me a few months :)

Ok, so what exactly does DKH stand for? Is it hardness? And that AP test kit will test for both of those right?

Thanks for all the feedback fellas

DKH is german degrees of hardness.Its just another way of gauging your alkalinity.

If it says KH and calcium,then it tests for both.

dKH is just a measurement of akalinity.Test the newly made salt for calcium/akalinity.If its low then you can dose it.

For example:natural seawater has a dKH of 8 or akalinity of 2.9 megs/L.Many people(I included)like to keep it a bit higher than that.I keep mine a dKH of 10 or about 3.6 megs/L.

yup, when I used instant ocean the calcium was only 320. which is way too low. you want it to be between 380-450. a little higher won't hurt anything.
the p.h. was only 7.8 and I can't remember what the alk was. it's not the greatest salt mix in the world for a reef tank, unless you want to dose a ton of stuff before it ever touches you're tank. I think some people have been mixing it 50/50 with oceanic salt. that's supposed to give you a pretty decent balance of everything you need.

What brands do you guys think is most accurate for each? How is Instant Ocean?

And in the event that they do test low, what is the best way/brand to increase them?

Last edited:
I like to use Seachem for the dosing of my tank. The purple bottle and the blue bottle. I use the powder, that way I can mix my own strength to dose. Reef crystals is a good salt and seems to have accurate levels as does oceanic. they are the only tow salts I use. I used to use I.O. but I changed because I was dosing SO MUCH.

I use salifert test kits and have never been disappointed. You will get it. Good luck

-Doc

I use Kent salt and have never had to dose a new batch.It has excellent magnesium levels which is beneficial to corals too.

I keep Seachem buffer for akalinity and Kent liquid reactor for calcium around for when I need to dose which hasn't happen quite yet.I'm sure I will when I get a heavier load of sps and lps corals.

So I won't benefit from Kalkwasser?

I'm looking for something that I can add to my makeup water and use in conjunction while I'm at the convenience of changing my water. I know Kalkwasser should be dripped slowly into the tank..

I like to use RO water in big gulp plastic glasses and mix Calcium in one and Alk in the other. I add the recommended amount and mix it in, using one spoon for each. I let it sit for about 10 minutes and dump it right into the DT. If you don't wait long enough, the Alk can make the water a bit cloudy. I tend to dose right after the lights go out. Use RO water though.

-Doc

Back