Coral Growth

hahah.. I didn't even realize I wrote that :) That's the best way I could describe it. They have little holes on the ends where it looks like something could have crawled out.

They even form on my powerheads, will sponge grow on plastic?

I have been dosing Kent Marine Liquid Reactor for about 12 days now. Calcium at 9 days was at 300, up from 260. I missed a dose on NYE, then dosed last night. This morning I tested and calcium was at 240. I re-tested and calcium was again at 240. Is this a bad test kit? I was thinking maybe since I have a HOB skimmer, filter with carbon, and daily top off that it was decreasing its effectiveness. Any suggestions?

have you changed salts yet? I am a fan of Seachem calcium additive, in the blue powder. great stuff. works in a week

-Doc

Nope, haven't changed salts yet because I have such a big container of IO. I suppose I can buy some and mix them together but I was trying to avoid that for now. I just figured that by now this additive should have some effect, and it showed after a week, only to disappoint me now.

I feel that maybe it is the test kit. It is API

I found that it was hard to keep calcium up when I used the IO salt.You about have to dose it daily just to maintain it.

try to switch to salifert test kits or take water to LFS if that is what they use.

-Doc

Its a good idea to have your LFS test your water at least once a month any way.That way you'll if your kits are giving false results.

Is this a service they provide for you guys as customers or because you know them well? I feel odd walking in and asking for a water test when I actually go to 2 or 3 different places :)

Sure,thats a service they provide.Mine here charges a $1 per test.

I've been using the liquid reactor.It took daily dosing to get near 500ppm from 450ppm.All and all about three days to raise it,shoulda worked for you too.Maybe it is the test kit after all.

my LFS tests water for free as a service to customers who regularly visit the store. RO water is also free for regular customers. Regular is coming in once a month and spending any amount of money

-Doc

My LFS does kinda like Docs,Tests are free for regular customers.Everybody else has to pay a buck per test.

hell, I was in there twice today and dropped over 2 bills on, well, pretty much nothing. They should name a corner of the store after me I am there so much.

-Doc

You know you've been spending to much time at the LFS when you walk in and they ask you to put this stock up,do a water change in that tank,help this customer.

When I was in my LFS last night, a customer asked the price of a coral, and Bill (the LFS) couldn't remember off the top of his head. He asked me, and I said, "What, does it look like I work here or something?!?! ...$90..." Sure enough, it was $90. Bill said, "No, but you should work here..." He's asked me to cover for him while he watches important football games in the back. He's said, "I'll pay you to work through the football game!" I may take him up on the offer one of these days just for fun...

Well thanks for the recommendation. My LFS was cool and let me bring in a water sample. They tested my calcium at 270, alk at 16 and asked if I needed anything else tested, for no charge :)

So, looks like the Kent Marine Liquid Reactor is acting more as a alk buffer than calcium supplement. I bought some B Ionic calcium buffer which all of my buddies are using and LFS has been selling for 10 years. Hopefully this stuff will work. Anybody else heard of it?

Back