Coral help!

Some people actually dump salt straight into their filter sock. I have never been that bold but I have always mixed and used the same day. There are many ways to do the salt mix just as there are many ways to put new corals in the display. I would always recommend dipping the corals b/c it is too easy and too cheap not to add a little insurance, IMO.
Who dumps salt into their filter socks on this site? That is insane statement to make a disagreement. By all means it's your tank and by doing this doesn't affect my tank. I do like hearing that folks do use filter socks, not even a year ago on this site they were considered "nitrate producers."

Who dumps salt into their filter socks on this site? That is insane statement to make a disagreement. By all means it's your tank and by doing this doesn't affect my tank. I do like hearing that folks do use filter socks, not even a year ago on this site they were considered "nitrate producers."
Wow, so I am insane for stating something that people actually do? A little brash don't you think? I also wasn't disagreeing anyone.

With new corals, I have always temp acclimated, dipped, and than right in the DT as well. So far they are always open within 30-60 minutes, sometimes less.

I always mix my salt the night before a water change as well. I like to make sure it is mixed 100% and it is just less I have to do the day of the water change.

I have always mixed and added my new water the same day with no real issues. Of course there is usually a 1 to 4 hr period in between from the time I mix it to the time I put it into my tank. Tomorrow is my water change day I'm going to monitor my pH this time just to be safe. With a powerhead and an hr to more of straight stirring up any salt should be fully mixed. As for the pH though that's what I'm unsure of. Always open to trying new things to make my tank better. Thanks marinne :thumbsup:

I usually try to wait at least 6 hours between mixing and water changes. As far as corals go the ride in a small plastic bag is usually sressful enough, i float the bags to temp match, then dip and right into the tank. Never had an issue with sps or lps. Im curious too who dumps salt right into the filter sock, id like to see pics of their setup.

Lastly im the one who has an asterina zoa eating problem

If anyone is interested. I used reef crystals and mixed to a salinity of 1.026 last night around 9pm. Then put a powerhead in agitation the water surface and swirling the water to mix it up. After 15 mins I got a pH reading of 8.2. I then left it over night and around 11 today, 14 hrs later I checked my salinity and pH again. Both remained exactly the same.

I agree Kyle. Can't speak for all salt mixes. Also I've only got a 20 gallon tank. So maybe larger tanks that require more salt to be added to their water changes also may be different.

I usually try to wait at least 6 hours between mixing and water changes. As far as corals go the ride in a small plastic bag is usually sressful enough, i float the bags to temp match, then dip and right into the tank. Never had an issue with sps or lps. Im curious too who dumps salt right into the filter sock, id like to see pics of their setup.

Lastly im the one who has an asterina zoa eating problem
Found ya knew i had read someone had:)

aint saying it was asterina stars just sure i read somewhere that someone saw them wiping there zoas out .this happened a while back now but at the time everything was fine except the zoas and my yellow polyps which are one of my faves
I had this happen. I pulled off about 30 stars from one colony. lost many many zoas. fixed the problem with a harlequin star fish assassin shrimp.

anyone using red sea coral pro for their salt? I used to use reef crystal switching was the best thing I ever did. water parameters are soo much more stable.

The way I help my salt to dissolve is; I put my salt and water in a Home Depot 5 gallon bucket. I then
use a paint mixer that has 6 paddles on it, (in paint dept. at HD). They are about $6.00 & $8.00, I don't remember how much I paid for each one. There is a 1 gallon and a 5 gallon mixer and a 10 gal mixer. I use my cordless drill and mix it for about 2 min., let it sit with a 4" air stone (from Walley*World) for about 20-30 min. Then mix again for as long as my hand holds out and leave it with the air stone, heater, thermometer, and let it cook for about 6 hours after you get the salinity and temp. you want.

And that's how I do it.

Back