Coral id/ flower Pot?

HeavyHittah

LivingReefs is like home
Is this a flower Pot coral?
2011-12-22_14-56-13_HDR.jpg

Thnx guys. Just read up on it, and they say it's hard to keep? Mine seems to be doing fine. NR. I'm using some sand a guy brought back from Florida, he went diving somewhere I can't remember. But the gravel is really larger sand granules. It came from lowes. It was marked "beach sand". It said it wasnt silicate so i picked it up. I'll take another pic of it.

The black specs you see are really baby snails. They're taking over my tank. Literally.
IMG_20111222_164539.jpg
just put a brs reactor online about a week ago, so hopefully my algae continues to disappear. Seems to be kicking butt so far.

Yours looks to be an Alveopora Sp. to me, it's much easer to keep then other flowerpots (goniopora).

Now that's good news, it's starting to grow on me. It's under LEDs (cree). It stays open all the time so I guess I got that one figured out. Maybe it'll really take off in a few weeks when the phosphates are at bay.

Now that's good news, it's starting to grow on me. It's under LEDs (cree). It stays open all the time so I guess I got that one figured out. Maybe it'll really take off in a few weeks when the phosphates are at bay.

I hope your's does well, but the real marker is about a year... flower pots have reserve food supplies which they can last for many many months without actually showing any damage... and then they just collapse. So unfortunately, until then you couldnt really tell if it is or not. These corals are really really hard to keep alive past a year and I know of only a handful of people who have been able to.

Good luck!

PS. I really wanted one for my tank but decided to pass on it because I think they should be left to the experienced reefers.

I hope your's does well, but the real marker is about a year... flower pots have reserve food supplies which they can last for many many months without actually showing any damage... and then they just collapse. So unfortunately, until then you couldnt really tell if it is or not. These corals are really really hard to keep alive past a year and I know of only a handful of people who have been able to.

Good luck!

PS. I really wanted one for my tank but decided to pass on it because I think they should be left to the experienced reefers.

Alveoporas don't have the poor success rate that Goniporas have, they are much hardier and easier to keep. Not to say they don't still have problems but, all in all much easier to take care of.

Alveoporas don't have the poor success rate that Goniporas have, they are much hardier and easier to keep. Not to say they don't still have problems but, all in all much easier to take care of.

Thats true... I really hope his does well :mrgreen: they look so awesome when they're fully expanded

Back