coral ideals

over my head

Reefing newb
OK so i want sps corals but every thing i see i want so any suggestions ? what do you all have ? recommend you know colorful,cool so on so fort

I have fallen in love with montipora caps. I only have two right now and I want to get even more. They grow relatively quickly. One of mine have quadrupled in size in just 6 months. And also something else I like is the birdsnest, although I'm not too sure on its growth since I just got it about 3 weeks ago.

Montiporas are fairly easy as far as SPS is concerned. I am assuming you have your water parameters under control and your tank is fairly stable.

I have a thread on Monti's - you might want to check it out
https://www.livingreefs.com/montiporas-t45904.html

There are 3 main varieties of montis - caps (the big plates), branching (these look like acroporas), encrusting (these grow over the rockwork and have colorful polyps). The encrusting are slower growers and are a bit more challenging.

I would really recommend monti's as starter SPS's.

As for acroporas/SPSs - there is a dizzying array of these and some are more difficult than others - you will have to do your research. Some of the easier ones (imo) are birdsnests (seriatopora's) and green slimers (yongai).

Start with frags (clipping) - you can get them for probably around $10. That way you will know if your tank is ready. Its fun watching a frag grow over time.

I think birdsnests are also pretty easy SPS to start with. Once your tank has matured, then think about adding some acros. I have both red planet and tricolor acros in my tank which I love!

over-my-head-albums-my-tank-picture2288-img-20130511-163525-454-1.jpg
over-my-head-albums-my-tank-picture2287-img-20130511-163517-584-2.jpg
new corals candy cane and pocilloropa thats probably miss spelled picked them up the other day

Back