Coral lighting info

leon1972

Reefing newb
Hey guys I'm looking for info on coral lighting requirements I want to get some lighting for corals but every article I read about it seems to read like a foreign language because it's too technical. Lol

I would like led but I don't think I can afford me right now. I am thinking t5 cux I just found one used for 50 bucks but I don't know what I should be looking for. I know the fixture is long enough for my entire tank. My assumption is the fixture fitting my tank is the important part for the t5 housing. Then I just buy the bulbs needed for what I want to go in that fixture, correct?

If you are going T-5 and it is for your 75 then I would look at getting a 6 bulb fixture. This would allow you to put anything in the tank that you would wish to as far as lighting requirements go.. Just make sure that they have individual reflectors..
One like this one..
Catalina Aquarium

Ok so I found a 6 bulb. I'm still thinking of going with the four bulb to be perfectly honest though. The six bulb is 150 and the 4 bulb is 50 The price difference is a little hard to pass up. Lol. What difference am I really looking at with 2 less bulbs?
Im in the military and will have to start my tank over in 15 months when I leave so my plan is to get my feet wet then at my next station I'll get a nice light where I can go crazy and will have several years before I move

would mean the difference between just about all SPS and higher light LPS and Nems or clams.. Basically anything that doesnt require alot of light would still work.. Softies and most lower light coral...

2 bulbs less would make that big of a difference? Most descriptions and requirements state low med or high level of light. Would I be able to run with low and med light level corals with the 4 light setup? Maybe, a big maybe, one or two hi level and the highest point of my Lr?

you have to remember you are cutting out about 108 watts of lighting removing the 2 bulbs.. you might be able to get away with a couple more demanding coral at the top, but I would hate to say yes no problem then they die on you.. Low light coral no problem med light corals yes more in the upper ranges of the tank..

Thanks for the help. I think I'll go with the 4 bulb one for now and then do LEDs when I move in a year. I don't have time for urchins now. My tank will barely e a year old when I leave an everything I read says to wait about a year before urchins and that kind of stuff. I am interested in some of the more colorful polyps, a frogspawn and maybe one or 2 other types. I'm using this time period for my learning curve and experimentation phase.

the reason you are reading about a year is that it takes our tanks about a year to reach maturity and be settled in.. Once it reaches maturity the tank also becomes alot easier to manage.. :D

Right , I know that, but when I say move I mean tank gets emptied fish and coral gets given away and tank gets packed and I start over in a new state, possibly country. That's why I say I don't have time for the more sensitive stuff. I will save and afford a nice as hell light by then. Also monitoring equip. I'm all about self automation. I want monitoring probes for all my parameters a Internet uplink for it so I can check it all when I'm away and all the bells and whistles. Lol

I love the idea for an auto top off for this very reason!!!!! Lol. I can just refill a jug every month versus a sump once a week. Lol

Actually the 4 bulb one doesnt say. It doesn't say anything really now tat I look at it. The 6 bulb one though is 54 watt bulbs. What kind / stat bulbs do I want? The 6 bulb one comes with 3 54 watt actinic and 3 10000k bulbs

Last edited:
Dimensions - 47.00" x 13.00" x 2.85"
Includes four 10000K bulbs
Includes two Actinic 460nm bulbs
Supports standard T5 HO 54 watt bulbs
Total watts: 324W
Power cord - 7 ft
Built-in timer control
Highly polished reflector
Built-in electronic ballasts for high energy efficiency
Plug and play ballasts saves time and hassle
Built-in hanging wire for easy installation
Convenient access door to replace parts.
Body color - textured black

ATI makes the best bulbs out there for T-5
Here is a combination for a 12 to 16k look if you have a 6 bulb fixture

3 ATI blue plus
2 ATIcoral plus
1 ATI purple plus

Last edited:
The reflector wasn't listed in the posting so I asked the guy and he told me every two lights shares a reflector. Is this ok?

Back