Coral placement

Piggy

Reef enthusiast
I just put my new lights on before I left for the holidays. I placed everyone on the bottom. My zoos look like they are dying. I did try to move them up for a few days thinking they weren't getting enough light but this hasn't helped either. Should I move them up higher or lower? How do you tell if they need more or less light? This is drivin me crazy. Also I noticed sme white thinks poking out of a piece of my live rock. Any idea what they could be? I know I know post a pic. I will later today. If I can get a good enough one.

Why do they look like they are dying? Are they just not opening? Can you get a pic? Same with the white things.

Oh wait, I just read your last sentence. Sorry :).

Your zoos should be fine anywhere near the bottom.They don't need tons of light and adapt well almost anywhere.

We need pics to help more Piggy.

Could be that they just need to get adjusted to your new lights,especially if you just switched to T-5s.

My lights are out for the night. I'll get pics in the morning. I had to cut down my lights to help get rid of algae.

place the zoas near the bottom. I have had the best luck with some that I have under a shelf so they only get indirect light. they open up the best. Stop moving them around too, it really pissed them off and they won't open for a week. Post us a pic when you can. Have you noticed anything nipping at them?

-Doc

Sorry this took so long. Had to barrow a computer seeing mine bit the dust.

zoos_259552.JPG

These are on the sand bed. They look sun bleached to me.

Notsure.jpg

See them white things. King of looks like pineapples. What are they? There are some zoos on one end of the rock.

Those white things look like sponges to me.

The zoas don't look so bad. The ones that are open look healthy. Have you tried dipping them to see if any pests fall off?

The white things look like sponges to me too.
Besides a few not open,they look healthy.There are too many bad hitchhikers that come in with zoas.I would freshwater dip every new purchase.Regular declorinated freshwater with temp and pH set to the DT.Dip for 5-10 minutes before putting them in the display.

Back