coral sting

poolshark181

Reefing newb
coral stung me on thursday. it's been smarting ever since, especially in the cold or if bathed in water. necessary to see the doctor or will it just go away on its own?

P1060021.jpg

I dont think I would risk getting that in the blood stream.
To be on the safe side,get it checked out.

im not sure what it is. it hitchhiked on my LR. it's multiple tubes topped off with a fuzzy/hair head. the base sometimes looks like it has a sponge encasing it. they're gray under lights, acid green under moonlights.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it unless the redness gets worse or spreads. You could try wiping vinegar on it just to kill any left over stingers. Follow it up with hydrocortisone. Should start to heal up in a few days, kinda like a burn. I've been stung many atimes by both corals and jelly's. Really you only need to worry if you start feeling symptoms other than localized (nausea, headache,blurred vision etc.). Good luck.

It looks like colonial hydroids-more related to jellyfish.Some do have a potent sting.
I would get rid of them.

they're pretty though! and...well, theres a ton of them, haha. if i wanted to get rid of them, itd take alot of manpower and gloves. i must wear gloves now everytime, heh.

I agree with freak -- those don't look like corals, they look like colonial hydroids or anemones. I also probably wouldn't worry about the sting too much. If you're doing okay after all this time so far, it's unlikely to get worse. At least, that's what I think :).

Back