Coral too close to polyps?

bk6662

Reefing newb
Good morning!

Two weeks ago I added Xenia and Zooanthids. Both were doing awesome. Last week I added a Favia (I think?) and Frogspawn. The latter additions are doing well, but most of the zooanthid polyps have stopped opening. I notice that the ones not opening are closest to the Favia, which is about 6 inches away. Is that too close? Also they are the highest up, and closest to the light source. I'm running 6-bulb T5s, and they are about 12" from the surface; 16" from the lights. And like I mentioned they opened nicely for the first week or so, so I don't think it's too much light?

Here are pictures; the second shows the proximity to the Favia coral. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to keep these guys alive!

-bk

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 449
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 480
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 403
I would just move the flavia if you think that is the issue. Many LPS corals can have very long feeder tentacles which will also sting other corals. The other thing I can think of is if you have any crabs or snails that have been bothering those corals.

Good morning,

In comparing my zooanthids with the picture I took on Monday, it looks like fewer polyps are opening. The front looks about the same, but only a handful on the back end are opening. Should I just leave it alone? The front half looks really healthy. Also I notice that most towards the back are "slightly" opened - but I have to look really closely to see that. I also notice that it's not as stunning in the actinic lighting, as when I first added it to my tank (at first it really glowed in that lighting). Is this colony slipping away, or does it just take longer to acclimitize?

Little_Fish I've seen hermits wandering over the corals - both front and back. But I haven't seen them lingering on these areas that aren't opening.

Thanks,
bk

You might have some nudibranches in there, which could be terrible for your colony. I would pull them out of the tank and very very very carefully look for them and egg sacks. I would then dip them while they are out of the tank.

You might have some nudibranches in there, which could be terrible for your colony. I would pull them out of the tank and very very very carefully look for them and egg sacks. I would then dip them while they are out of the tank.

Would a nidibranch be obvious - any telltale signs I should be looking out for? What about egg sacks? I've looked around after dark - haven't found any surprises yet.

As far as dipping them - do you mean in fresh water? Is that only if I find signs of a nudibranch?

Thank you!
Brian

I would dip them in coral rx or similar. Signs of nudis are zoas not opening or disappearing, and they would look like little slugs. I dont think you would see them after dark, I would only spot them with very close inspection of the corals

Back