Coral Trouble

jamesd523

Reefing newb
I'm understanding what everyone told me about the first year being a little rough.

I have JUST finished fighting off some jelly algae, and now I have some questions about my declining corals. I originally thought that they were in trouble because of the algae, but I need to know if I have a new threat I need to fight.

My water parameters are normal as far as I can tell. Still doing changes roughly once a week.

First:

Before:
IMG_1621.jpg

After:
IMG_1769.jpg

I thought that was the coral growing, but they haven't turned into polyps, and now I'm concerned. It's spreading all over the rock it's on. What's up?

Second:
Before:
IMG_1615.jpg

After:
IMG_1771.jpg

Pretty sure this is from the algae. Is there a safe way to remove this stuff? Can it turn around?

Third:

Before:
IMG_1620.jpg

After:
IMG_1772.jpg

This guy is pretty much done for. I'm just wondering if it was from the algae break out or if I've done something else wrong.

I'm planning to replace/restock some of this stuff, but I wanted to get your opinion on things before I go spend some money on livestock that won't make it. :)

Thanks!

James

That looks like some type of sponge crowding those zoas.But its hard to know for sure with the pic being blurry.If thats the case,use some twezzers (because some types can sting the piss out of ya) and remove the sponge.

That leather looks like it could just be trying to shed.Which is normal.Its how they clean themselves.And it should recover nicely.

The frogspawn is gone.Nothing more you can do for it.

Post the actual numbers for your parameters along with what your dosing and how much.A list of the other livestock would be a big help too.
And what type and how much light are you running,along with water flow?

The "after" pic of the polyps shows them reaching for more light. What kind of lighting are you running? The whitish stuff looks like a sponge, but it's too blurry to really tell.

On the "after" pic of the leather, are those red spots on the glass or on the coral? If they are on the coral they might be flatworms. Not a good thing to have.

Last pic is a dead coral skeleton. No hope for that.

How about posting some water parameters. Temp, pH, nitrate, calcium, alk, magnesium.

I agree with ccCapt,

What kind of Jelly Algae are you talking about?
It looks like your frogspawn "jellied" out and that's why you have an empty skeleton.
If the jelly oozed into the water, that is really bad for your parameters and you should have seen some spike in something.

The leather does look like flatworms, but bigger. Not sure on that one, I have some leather and I have never seen it shed as yote says...but I haven't had the leather that long.....he would know better.

Definitely you may have a lighting issue. I noticed your tagline says 36g FOWLR.
A FOWLR tank doesn't require the lights that a mixed reef tank does.
Do you have at least 110w of lighting? Do you have Actinic?
Give some more details and maybe more answers will come out....

Good Luck.

2x65 PCs - Current USA (65 actinic)

On another note, I was checking out the "jelly" stuff on my leather, and I watched one of them move. I'm assuming this means I've got some darned flatworms. Upon further examination - they are scattered across my tank. Maybe these guys are what's pissing off my coral. How hard is it to get rid of these?

I'll post some parameter results later - I'm feeling too lazy to run it all right now. Sounds like a good project for tomorrow.

If they're moving they are flatworms. Get some flatworm exit and follow the directions.
I had them and this is what I did.

1. Siphon out as many as possible. You have way more then you think. I did this for a few days before I used the flatworm exit.
2. You'll need lots of carbon so while your getting the exit stuff pick some up.
3. After you add the exit stuff and they start dying siphon them out as quickly as possible they are very toxic.
4. Run the carbon for a week after treatment.
5. Retreat tank.

Thanks Piggy. You're right, they are EVERYWHERE. I'm sure there are a lot more too. I'll start treating them as soon as possible.

So I thought I had algae and it turns out to be flatworms.

I thought my zooanthids were growing, and it turns out they are being taken over by a sponge.

I'm clueless... all part of the learning process. It appears that I have a LOT of work to do over the next few weeks. Ugh... :(

As soon as I saw the one pic. I knew they were flatworms. I would suggest you siphon out as many as you can for a few days. If you want you can do it in a day but it'll take awhile. Here is what I did. I made myself a net out of material. I first tried a brine net but they could get through it. I had someone hold it over the sump while I siphoned them out of the tank. This way the water stayed in the system and the flatworms didn't. Also be sure to blow a small power head at your rock especially the holes. You can also use a turkey baster. As soon as you got out all you can see use the exit stuff.

From the clearer pics, it appears those are not sponges, but aiptasia. Aiptasia would explain your zoanthids dying. Google aiptasia and let us know if it looks similar.

Back