Coralife digital timer

FNG44601

Reefing newb
I was just hoping someone else uses the piece of crap timer.... I can't tell whether the 1st programmed spot is for the daylights or actinics- (gotta love kids- they thought the directions would be fun to play with)
It already sucks cause I had to buy another timer just to have the actinic+daylights, and I seemed to have everything right- now instead of everything turning off and just leaving the lunars on......... the daylights pop on!!! ANY help is greatly appreciated

i have one of these myself there is a flaw in this digital timer it made to when the timer is set to on the daylight are on and anything that is plugged in to the daylight plugs come on together and auto works the same also but note
after timer is set for on 2 days are on then when timer is set for off with daylights they both go off at the same time (daylights then no matter what is programed in the night (blue plugs )they automatic come on and will run till day light is programed to come back on at next day or ect.. in order to run a light such as halide or pc lights have to have too units to make work so that one plug for day comes on then say half hour later 2 day light comes on and runs till nights come on with 2 unit to simulate the half over power down mode to get away from this and use one unit you will need the manual set twin corallife timer unit this has 2 manual set timer that work independent from each other but the digital one makes a great wave timer hope this helps

I have heard a lot of bad things about these timers and all the other brand named ones. I am staying away after seriously considering it.

HG is right, you can't set your actinics to come on before your daylights, there are only three sets of plugs: day time, night time and always on. Basically, anything you plug into the day time and night time plugs will either be on or off, you can't stagger their activation.

You can really only clock one outlet, like Biffer says. The second outlet is exactly opposite of your timed first outlet and your third outlet is continous. Yeah, the same thing Biffer said. Creative advertsing on the part of coralife, yepper. I have 5 or 6 of them gathering dust, somewhere. As cheap as X-10 controllers are getting so they even sound good anymore. X10.com - Security Cameras, X10 Home Security, Wireless Camera, Home Automation, Electronics and More! You can get cheap, good control units here, but if you are using large noisey electronic ballasts (ie Blueline) for your lighting you will not be interested in X-10 controllers becuase the electronic ballasts cause X-10 interference problems. Good only for timing applications really, but much cheaper than full scale controllers such as AquaDynes or AquaControllers.

Last edited:
That be the dud! You are better off with an intermatic timer available at any hardware store, and at a cheaper price. The coarlife timer is more a power strip than a timer. The thing is at least powerstrips usually come with surge protectors.

Aqualight Digital Power Center | Aquarium Timers | Electrical Supplies | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

Is this the one your talking about? I just bought one sunday, should I return it before i open it up?

Yes it is- It's a hassle, I mean I figured out how to get everything to come on but it's the going out that's kickin my butt. Even with this, I had to buy another timer (the old school type u use for a regular lamp) and plug it into the "always on" outlet. This sucker will be on ebay real soon- unless I decide to keep it as a wavemaker. I think your best bet would just be to go to Wal-mart and buy 3 of the timers $9 each and call it a day

I've also seen cases where they have caught fire because salt got in. I guess that could happen to most timers, but it's just another thing that scared me into not buying it.

Thanks for the heads up, I will be taking mine back. I guess I just buy a surge protector/power strip and just hook the timers into that?

Yea it's pretty simple to do it that way- I wish I'd have posted before I bought this thing. I normally switch em on and off myself but thought it would be cool to just have it cycle on it's own. but the old fashion timer is workin like a charm

after reading the other post i think we should all send esu thats coralife new website a bad review for this timer yes it is misleading to all but what i think is
this timer is really used for reptiles due to makes sense daylight on for certain time 8-12 hr) ect this bulb could be sun and some heat then for night plug
would maybe represent heat rock for warmth and constant power maybe for small water pump for drip or mister as reptiles prefer moving water .but i do agree with other its not for the salt world ..and it should state on the box or manual note far as manual timers they work great however some form walmart are cheap and run from 5-15-dollars and loose time slowly after age and due to being round salt for the same price within a few bucks may want to look into the grassline timers there made better,heavier,and are rated around salt and i own some of these and have used for several years and they are still like new and don't lose time like other brands .just a little heads up

Actually the Coralife non digital timer is their timer with the extra timing cycle. You almost have to be a lawyer to read their add specifics in some of the catalog write ups though. It has two dial timers and costs nearly twice as much, but presently on sale by Drs. Foster and Smith, for only half again more. Marine Depot sells the same timers under a different name (Zilla Power Centers).

I've also seen cases where they have caught fire because salt got in. I guess that could happen to most timers, but it's just another thing that scared me into not buying it.

That can happen to any type of powerstrip you use. That's the problem people don't think about how or where they place them.

I would go to a good hardware store or an electrical supply hose and get an Intermatic brand timer. Get one rated for a 15 Amp circuit. They come in all sizes for home, commercial and industrial. Commonly in Alaska they are used for home electric water heaters and all the heaters we must put on our vehicles so they will start at 50 degrees below zero. They have them in plastic and heavier duty metal cases and run no more in cost than coralife timers. With the heavy duty ones you have to wire up your own outlet, but that is simple and usually illustrated right on the timers inside cover. Just remember "line" is your incoming power wire, an "load" is the power wire actually being hooked up to your lights or their outlet strip. You can even get intermatic timers that will control many circuits off the one timer. They are typically used with commercial refrigeration equipment.

Back