Coralife skimmer size?

recliner

Reefing newb
I need help figuring out what size coralife protein skimmer I have. I've read that the 220 gal super skimmer is 25.5, the 125 gal is 24.5" and the 65 gal is 20.75" tall. My problem is that mine measures 23.5" :shock: I measured from the bottom of the unit to the top of the collection cup. The main unit is 5" across and the collection cup is 6" across.

It has been keeping up so far with my 150 gal tank but I have had a small amount of fish. I am wanting to add more and more fish over the next year and want to make sure my skimmer can keep up.

Duh! So obvious and yet I didn't even think for a second to inspect it for a model number. Found it on the bottom, 33002. It is a 125 gal size skimmer.

That leads to my next question...
So far it seems to be keeping up (nitrates aare at 0) I have 9 fish currently and plan to add 3-4 more over the next 6 months. As I add them and they grow I'm sure it will stop being enough.
I found a site that's selling a new coralife super skimmer rated for 220 gal for $160 w/free shipping. I don't have room in my sump for anything other then a skimmer that hangs on the side. Is that the best one out there or is there another model I should check out.

The coralife is about the worst skimmer you could get for your tank. You can't fit a skimmer in your sump at all?

The way it's wedged under my dt I don't have room in any area except in one section. That section is not wide enough to fit a skimmer in it so I am stuck with having to use a skimmer that hangs on the side.

Reef Octopus 8 in. Recirculating Skimmer - Up to 250 gal | ThatPetPlace.com

What about this one? It says for in sump or external use. I'm assuming if I use it externally I would just use PVC to plumb it up and into my sump for the intake and output

You would need a little pump (connected to a hose) to bring water from the sump to the skimmer. Then a hose to bring the water back to the sump. If you have a small sump, then a recirculating skimmer is a good option to look into. It can just sit on the floor next to the tank.

Agh! I'm so torn now.
The coralife 220 gal for $160 is nice cause of the gal rating I get for that price. It seems most people's complaint about them is they can flood. My coralife 125 gal has flooded 3 times in 5 months now, but it is right next to a sump pit in my basement and every drip of flooded tank water went right into the pit and caused no issue for me.
The aqua medic turboflotor seems to have almost all great reviews but runs $300
The recirculating reef octopus is $350 and would need hoses and maybe another pump bought to run, but everybody seems to always be happy with reef octopus.

I guess I'll do some more digging to see if there's other reasons the coralife is a crummy skimmer

It's not just the flooding, the coralife is not as efficient and won't pull as much crap out of your water. That 220g rating is off because there's no way it could handle a tank that big.

What size area in your sump are you working with?

It's 6.5" by 11.5" and the water level is about 12" deep
I figured the 220 was overkill. I figure counting the water in my sump and factoring in the amount displaced by my rock & sand i prob have 110 to 120 gallons.

Well the guy said if no one offers more before Saturday afternoon I can have it for $350. Then after I sell my sump and skimmer for 150ish I'll only be out $200 for the upgrade.

I got the sump and skimmer today for $350 and they threw in a refugium light for free!
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/JBJ-Macro-Adjustable-Refugium-Light/dp/B0053ZMS1Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358814308&sr=8-2&keywords=Macro-glo]Amazon.com: JBJ Macro Glow Adjustable Refugium Light, 25W: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]
Now I just need a couple hours free to swap the refugiums

Back