Coralife Skimmer

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
I have read from many people that they are junky and don't work. I have also read the opposite but just not as many.

I run the 125 and I can't see where it is crappy.

It doesn't overflo, it pulls blackgreen crap out now more than ever(after 3 months)

I skims well as before it took a while to collect a lot. I think it was because my tank never had as much in it as now.

I see all the $300-$500 skimmers and the collection cups look no more gunky than mine does.

So I ask why so many negatives?

I almost feel like I am following the, "Hey look I have the newest skimmer crew."

I am not saying everyone has had a good result but as I look at upgrading for my upcoming larger tank, I almost cringe at what I am getting for $200 more.

I could always slap a stronger pump on it and mod the wheel and then what. Will they pick on the colors next?

My point is that I just can't fully understand how this skimmer is trashed so much when I see the same results I see documented about the expensive ones.

Ok maybe I would see more gunk if I bought a bigger better skimmer but how can that improve my water when it reads so good now.

I just question whether it is worth it to spend the extra $200 when in 3 months there will be the next best thing or is it.

I got a reef octopus extreme xs-200 for $300 for my 110 and I'm really happy with it.

I agree that you don't need to spend $500 on a skimmer.

Coralife Super Skimmer is less than $300. Then you throw in the modifications, and its now just as good as your Reef Octopus.:wink:

I had just emailed coralife because my pupm was noisy but it may have started after I cleaned it so they sent me a new pump and it is quiet and you can't hear it. Then I had also asked for a new collection cup but they sent it with a second pump and told me to keep it for a backup. So now ithas been added to my salt mixing crew.

Got that 600gph a whisper 1200 and a 500gph aqueon power head all in one brute can mixing 24 gallons of saltwater.

I picked up the coralife pump by the wire and it was spinning around haha.

hey if anyone needs a coralife 125 skimmer i have an extra i dont have a use for,i like my coralife skimmer,the first pump i had for 2 years before it went bad,kept the needle wheel for a spare,didnt think i was going to get just the pump so i baught the newest version so now i got 2 skimmers

You get what you pay for IMO. There's no way I should have to pay for something knowing that modifications have to be made to it in order for it to work the way it should out of the box. That's like buying a new car knowing that you'll have to replace the transmission on for it to run properly.

well mine runs fine without mods,i like the way it runs,if poeple like to mod them then thats their deal,i personly dont want to mod mine

You get what you pay for IMO. There's no way I should have to pay for something knowing that modifications have to be made to it in order for it to work the way it should out of the box. That's like buying a new car knowing that you'll have to replace the transmission on for it to run properly.
But your also cost almost twice what the CLSS does. If you have the cash, there are of course several others to invest in. But, for cheap and mods, the CLSS will go up against any of the big boys. :twocents:

well mine runs fine without mods,i like the way it runs,if poeple like to mod them then thats their deal,i personly dont want to mod mine
Don't you wonder what it does with the mods though? I had it, know what it does without the mods. You would be really surprised.

But your also cost almost twice what the CLSS does. If you have the cash, there are of course several others to invest in. But, for cheap and mods, the CLSS will go up against any of the big boys. :twocents:

If that were truly the case people would be running modded CL skimmers instead of selling them for better built ones. My :twocents:

If that were truly the case people would be running modded CL skimmers instead of selling them for better built ones. My :twocents:

Ahh but maybe those people are just tossing their money away.

I just would hate to lay out $300-$400 and be pissed my Coralife works the same.

Let me just ask this.

If my cup is filling up with superdark sludge what more can I get. I am not saying all skimmers are equal but I just think the Coralife Skimmers are not as junky as people say.

Just like any product in reefing, all it takes is a few posts and it spreads like wildfire.

I have seen many skimmers in person and just from looking at them all I can tell is they look different. The don't seem to be any better to my eyes.

I mean I guess with my good water readings and clear water I can't see where a double the cost skimmer is going to improve. Of course there are those that will perform better but what is my advantage?

I have the 2 brand new pumps now maybe I can plumb them both into the skimmer hahahhaa. I always knew a bigger pump would work but I also read stories of people who upped their pumps and it made it worse.

Tell you what though it cut my water change time in half easy with the pump now as my work horse.

Actually if you tape off the first layer of the intake strainer, it makes the skimmer better by actually making the flow quicker with the airflow. The biggest part of the intake strainer.

Yeah I guess that makes sense. But I can't just use any tape right. I mean the glue they put on the tape is no good?

I have plumbers tape but that may not hold up.

But, how many people do you know out there that like to follow the newest and greatest thing? Not necessarily the best thing though, right? There are a ton of Skimmers out there, are Deltec's worth the $$ people pay for those things??? If you ask me, the answer is HELL NO. But then again...:twocents:

Back