coraline alge?

amonya

Reefing newb
when I have just the actinic light on you can see some spots(pinkishand orange) :grumble: that seems to be glowing, is this new coraline alge or something else.seen before but not as much as this time all so seems as if its atracted to the whiter areas of the rocks .

What does it look like when the lights are all on.

Coralline Algae. Red, pink, or brown flattened circular encrusting or foliaceous calcified plants.

Last edited:
mostly pink and some reddish also i was wanting to ask you when it comes to protien skimmers how long do u think i should run in my 29 gallon . Ive heard it was ok to run all the time but some other people at the store i go to tell me its not a good thing to run all the time becase it takes benaficial bactera away from the aqurium?

I run mine 24/7.They wont remove good bacteria.Some do say to only use a couple days aweek,because they will strip out a litlle bit of your trace elements in the water.You can test and dose for the removed elements tough

I concur. The protien skimmer will not take out the bacteria only free floating bacteria, but, will not affect the bacteria bed that has been established. it will also remove iodine, minerals/trace minerals, and some vitamins. With periodic water changes and/or supplementation you can replenish what is removed. I run my protien skimmers 24/7. you will need to continue to monitor your water parameters and only add to your system what is in need of. do not add just to to be adding stuff. your bio load will determine the length of time to run your skimmer. reef 24/7, fish only, as much as is needed to take out the waste. hope this helps.

The algae is coralline algae and is good for areas with no animals.

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing things up for me guys now thats a answer I could believe all so when you said some vitamins ,What type of trace elements or supplements do you recommend .At this moment I've just been using calorie supplement once a day ,iodine once a week ,reef solutions daley,bioplankton every other day and this stuff called stability every water change which is once a week 20% . What else would you recommend?

Hmmmmmm. you are sure adding a lot of stuff to your system. in order to assess or advise or post an opinion would need a list of all equipment, all animals, lighting. once the system could be analysised an opinion might be doable. also the amounts of additons for the various supplements you add and also identify why you are adding it( purpose intended for each addition). I have rearranged the helpful articles and posted the beginner articles to the top so they can be found easily. recommend you visit the articles and read the ones you have not. also come join us in chat where we could discuss your system in real time. good luck and happy fishing.

10-20lbs crushed coral est . 30-50lbs of live rock est. blue mushrooms (4) (brown)button polyps . true tonga purple mushrooms (4) yellow tree gorgonian (1) metallic green star polyps . (2) tomato clowns (1) yellow tail damselfish (1) coral bandit (1) turbo snail (2) not sure what is actually called bee snails . lighting satellite duel (2) smart pac 65w daylight 10,000k and (2) actic 460nm together . 250 skelter filter (new replacement for old biowheel)which is still in tank too , (1)heater ,(1) canister filter (2) powerheads 420,400. as you can see my tank was not a very well planned set up but thanks to this site and others i have a planned out 75 gallon system that I will be setting up in the next year or so. but right now trying to make my un planned 29 system more successful .hopefully this will help you help me.

Well thankyou for the additional information. you do have some bio load with the animals you have there so some supplementation is most likely in order. The best way for me to answer your question is to simply say to do full water parameter tests and add to your system what is lacking but but investigate so you know why it is lacking. if your system is improving, look at the helpful articles test and tweak and the beginners articles, as there is a lot of information there that we all could revisit from time to time. if you are still not satisfied, I would recommend you consider this as a 1st method to increase your water quality, for salt water changes add 1/4 the recommended dosage of an ro water reconstitution mix prior to mixing in the salt. continue to do water changes weekly, watch your additives when starting to add the reconstitution mix (such as OSMO Prep Marine by Kent.) so you do not over dose something. if this increases your alkalinity, buffer and ph performance, then continue each month increasing the reconstitution mix and cut back on the other additives until you get to full dosage of the reconstitution mix at which time you should be able to control your water parameters by water changes only. make changes slowly and in small increments so you do not shock the system. hope this helps.

were do I find some of the (osmo prep) and if I buy my ro fresh and salt can I add the prep to the frsh ro and then mix with the ro salt. Im guessing that the osmo stabilizes my water chemistry ?

OSMO Prep by Kent Marine are chemicals to reconstitute R/O water prior to adding the salt. it creates a basis for the salt to properly maintain pH, alkalinity and hardness. hope this helps. oh and when you start to use it start at 1/2 recommended dose. (CAUTION DO NOT OVERDOSE). OSMO PREP AND SALT MAKE UP SHOULD BE TO WATER THAT IS THE SAME TEMPERATURE AS THE MAIN TANK SO BRING R/O WATER UP TO PROPER TEMPERATURE 1ST. WITHIN A COUPLE DEGREES WILL SURFICE. GOOD LUCK.

Back