coraline on glass, and little white hard things on glass too

S2kdriver

Reefing newb
jsut wondering what to do. i have coraline growing on my glass dont know to take it off or keep it on. so what to do?

also theres some litle white things, there swirled like snale shells, but there very tiny, and hard and is on the glass. dont know if i should take it off or not. i try to scrub it but its very hard. also what is it? thanks!!!

and thers also some reddish/brownish algea on the sand. just a bit. the crabs just killed a snail and i now have 3 left, and i need more. but there not keeping the tank clean like the use to. so how do i get rid of the reddish/brown algea on the sand. thanks!!!

The things on the glass are spirorbid worms -- they are harmless. You can scrape the worms and the coralline off with a magnetic scraper. The reddish brown algae is probably diatoms. Which is normal for a new tank, and there really isn't anything you can do about diatoms except wait them out. They'll go away eventually.

Last edited:
jsut wondering what to do. i have coraline growing on my glass dont know to take it off or keep it on. so what to do?

also theres some litle white things, there swirled like snale shells, but there very tiny, and hard and is on the glass. dont know if i should take it off or not. i try to scrub it but its very hard. also what is it? thanks!!!

and thers also some reddish/brownish algea on the sand. just a bit. the crabs just killed a snail and i now have 3 left, and i need more. but there not keeping the tank clean like the use to. so how do i get rid of the reddish/brown algea on the sand. thanks!!!

Many people leave the coraline on their glass. I scraped the sides and front of my 10G but let it grow on the back. If you want it off you can buy a kit from a local pet store, i.e: Petco, Pet Supermaket, that has a razor blade scraper and that'll take it off.

The algea sounds like Cyano, if its slimy. How old is your tank? what are your parameters? Those answers will help everyone tell you what to do. Best thing I've found is water changes and time.

DAMN NINJA!

Last edited:
everyting in my tank is good and normal. levels i mean. but my tank is almost a year old. and its just in one spot for now. i did have it when i started the tank but the snails took care of it. but now its back. im going to get more snails and do that. but just wondering. thanks!!!

well the algea on the sand is getting worse. and it dosent help that i discovered i only have 3 snails left! dang blue legged crabs!!!! and i think the sand shifting star is working its hardest to keep everything clean, i have never seen him out from under the sand so much!! so is that what yall recommend. that i should get more snails?? and how many for a 20g tank? i have 4 blue legged crabs.

well the algea on the sand is getting worse. and it dosent help that i discovered i only have 3 snails left! dang blue legged crabs!!!! and i think the sand shifting star is working its hardest to keep everything clean, i have never seen him out from under the sand so much!! so is that what yall recommend. that i should get more snails?? and how many for a 20g tank? i have 4 blue legged crabs.

I've been told you should have 1 snail/gal of water. I have 6 Nassarius, 13 Turbos, 6 Scarlet Hermits and Dirt Bag the Sea Hare in my 29G and they're all workin for their keep. Cuz I crack the WHIP!!!

Hey no whippin' the hermits!!!
Snails-you can go as much as 2 per gallon if you want. However you may have to feed them some once you tank is all clean.

sounds like i need a bunch more critters...
i have no idea how many of what i have in my tank anymore... at one point i had bought 15 hermits(mixed red and blue legs), and 10 turbos, and 5 nasarious in my 75gal... but i'm sure that some ofthem have died off, and i just never found them... i have seen a couple empty shells here and there, but they could have just been in the sand from when i set the tank up... i dunno... i do know that i have seen 2-3 hermit bodies floating around, so i scooped them out, but the shells were covered in coraline, so i left in the shells...

yea, they change up as they grow dont they....

so i'm looking for more critters to control my algae, i have some red stuff on the sand and then the hair thats in the tank...

so, if i'm looking at more cleaning crew, what other things can i look at? I'm all about diversity, i want 1 of every different thing, but i know that some things dont work well together... my ultimate goal is to have zoo's of several different colors, an anim or 2 for my clownfish, and then lots of diversity... maybe a urchin? but i think i need to wait on him cause from what i've heard they can kill(eat) coraline algae, and i dont have nearly enough yet....

cucumber? more crabs and snails? maybe a different kind of crab? i dunno,

what i have now:
1 red knobby starfish
1 sand sifting star
1 clown fish
1 banded cardinal
1 yellow tang
1 mandrin gobi
1 18 inch snowflake eel
15 or less hermits (mixed red and blue)
15 or less mixed nassarrius and turbo snails

i'm thinking anything that stirs up the sand is in my benifit, but what do i know.

i am seriously thinking about getting a feather duster or 2 cause the lil tiny ones that i have in my sand now are really hard to see...

Last edited:
um, i guess i need an after lunch nap cause that didnt make sence to me, did you mean that people are not happy when they order from saltwaterfish.com?

what have the complaints been? the guy i got this tank from, got everything in that tank from them... i've never used anything online to order anything alive, so its all new to me..

yea, they change up as they grow dont they....

so i'm looking for more critters to control my algae, i have some red stuff on the sand and then the hair thats in the tank...

so, if i'm looking at more cleaning crew, what other things can i look at? I'm all about diversity, i want 1 of every different thing, but i know that some things dont work well together... my ultimate goal is to have zoo's of several different colors, an anim or 2 for my clownfish, and then lots of diversity... maybe a urchin? but i think i need to wait on him cause from what i've heard they can kill(eat) coraline algae, and i dont have nearly enough yet....

cucumber? more crabs and snails? maybe a different kind of crab? i dunno,

what i have now:
1 red knobby starfish
1 sand sifting star
1 clown fish
1 banded cardinal
1 yellow tang
1 mandrin gobi
1 18 inch snowflake eel
15 or less hermits (mixed red and blue)
15 or less mixed nassarrius and turbo snails

i'm thinking anything that stirs up the sand is in my benifit, but what do i know.

i am seriously thinking about getting a feather duster or 2 cause the lil tiny ones that i have in my sand now are really hard to see...

Is the algae growing everywhere or is it just in certain area's in the tank? It could be more of a flow issue.

Do not order from saltwaterfish.com. If your livestock arrives dead, or dies soon after, you will never get your money back. They say they have a guarantee, but it's a scam. In all honesty, I have never heard from anyone that has ordered from them and been happy. They owe me tons of money in "store credit" that I cannot use. There is a thread about this in "Vendor Evaluations". I swear, they mail people dead animals on purpose, because they make more money off of it that way.

^man that sucks. thats a good note to self never to order there!

but my algea is on the sand. so is there any cleaner animals that yall recommend. this is what i have left:
3 snails
3 blue legged hermits
1 red legged hermit
1 sand shifting star

so what do yall recommend. im going to the fish store to get frozen food.

also another question on the food. how do i feed it. a little cube per day? or part of a cube?

i have the 20g long!

well heres what i got.

2 turbo snails
2 bumble bee snails
1 tiny tiny sea urchin. the guy at the lfs gave it to me for free!!
a coral piece, forgot what it was called, but it is pink/white and it opens and closes the fingers on the arms.
a glass scraper( i did it but it seemed to scratch my glass)??
and brine shrimp food. he said do brine shrimp every 3 days adn do pellets the days inbetween.
so hows the collection?

Get yourself some Nassarius snails for the sand.Some Astreas to go along with the turbos,and maybe a couple of emerald crabs.
Just use the brine for a treat.Its basically like feeding the fish cotton candy,it has no nutrition at all.Mysis would be a better choice,along with emerald entree,marine cuisine.Make sure to mix it up some.Your fish need a varied diet.

Back