Coraline vs Cyano?

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
So I've had water in my tank for about a week and am in the midst of cycling. No sand in the tank yet, and I started with about 125lbs of dry rock (some of which I got from CL and bleached and dechlorinated), and then added 25lbs of live rock that I had curing in a bucket at home with a powerhead and heater for a good 3+ weeks before moving it to the tank earlier this week. Some of the dry rock that I got had little red spots on it that I presume was dry coraline. Today I can see that I've got some new red spots on my pukani dry rock, which was pure white before so I know its new growth. I guess I'd be surprised to get coraline growth so quickly in my tank, but I'd also be surprised if its cyano since I don't even have anything in the tank yet that could be leading to a nutrient problem. As of yesterday ammonia was around 0.05-0.1, nitrites were 2.5, nitrates were 10, pH was 8.0-8.1 (I'm using a seachem test kit, not strips). I do have good lights (AI Sol super blue LEDS) so that might be promoting algae growth more quickly. What do you guys think? Is this good algae (coraline) or bad (cyano) or something else?

Cyano will rub right off, and feel slimy. It also sits on top of things, and doesn't look 'painted on' like coralline.

Coralline is hard and crusty, and you'd have to scratch it off with a razor blade.

I have deep red coralline that looks like cyano because of the color also.

Looks like its coraline then! Just reached in to feel it and it definitely isn't slimy and won't scrape off with my fingers. Cool! :D

Back