Coraline

cthegame

Reef enthusiast
How can i slow down coraline growth? I find myself scarping the front glass on a daily basis and i know i will end up scratching the heck out of my tank.

The coraline growth is just out of control. Its only been 11 days si nce the pics in my showcase thread and already the coraline on the sides ofthe tank has almost covered the entire sides.

I am manually scraping my front glass but its getting to be very tedious...

What can i do to slow it down?

Thanx!!!

Switch over to freshwater.:mrgreen:
I agree though.Coralline gets to be a pain in the butt when you gotta scrap if off the front glass a lot.
As for slowing it down,I have no idea except to let the tank go to :pooh:

Damn it! every good thing has its price i guess. This price being daily manual labor and a scratched up tank. :frustrat:

I was just going to make a thread about how to speed up growth, or why its growing like it does, I sign on and here is one about coraline already. Ill just ask my question here then... Is there something wrong that my coralline algae only grows in areas of rapid water movement? Why is this? My overflow box is covered in coralline, right by my return pump its got heavy coralline growth, even above my water level where the water ripples by my return pump, covered in coralline... I was just going to go take some pics, and I decided to start cleaning up some stuff a bit, turned into an all out cleaning spree, water is filthy now. Going to just do a water change I guess. Here are some pics, dont mind the dirty water.
Aquarium032-1.jpg

Aquarium031-1.jpg

Aquarium030-1.jpg

Pretty much everywhere other than pictured is almost bare of coralline, why does it grow in high flow areas only? Do I have low dissolved oxygen levels or something?

Thats just the nature of the game Cory.
Theres alot of different types of coralline that has so many different needs thats its hard to figure out why one tank it becomes a problem while another cant get it to grow.

The only thing I could think of was that my water had low dissolved oxygen or something, because it would grow best where the water was disrupted, but I dont see how that could be true, because I have a sump, overflow, 2 koralia #2's rippling the water surface, etc... So nothing is really wrong with it? thats just the way it grows? In fast moving currents first?

I dont know about that. I have low current in my tank and it doesnt seem to make a difference.

I think it might have to do with light & water elements. But i dont have super bright lights either...about 300 watts of PC lights, so i really dont get it.

I think yote is right. It might have a mind of its own.

Coralline is like taking the hottest cheerleader in the high school to the prom.
You might end up getting some,but then again,you might not.

Coralline is like taking the hottest cheerleader in the high school to the prom.
You might end up getting some,but then again,you might not.

LOL. All i know is that my purple coralline is a total slut while my green coraline is playing hard to get.

Where are you getting your water? are you buying it mixed up from the LFS? I'm wondering if you somehow introduced a bunch of it to your system.

FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH - everybody here told me that the work load is intense when you start things up, and slow down considerably later on... which is exactly the experience I've had. Today I cleaned the front glass and it took 5 minutes (used to take a half hour).

Last edited:
I buy Ro water from a water store. I have never bought saltwater before.

What you're saying is true although in the beginning there was less coraline and in the past month, it really took off. I just wish it would grow at this rate on the rocks instead of the glass.

Yeah we have water stores here in AZ. We have a Culligan store, and another store called Water Street Station. All they sell is...water.

I've found in my tanks that coralline grows the quickest on plastic (equipment) and the slowest on glass, with rocks being in the middle. I've had a lot of my rocks for 2 years plus and they are completely covered, every square inch with purple. My powerheads get a new coat of purple every month or so. But my glass, hardly any on it. Part of that is because my cleaner crew cleans the glass so much, I think.

Back