coralline algae

dankolle

Reefing newb
I have been trying to get this stuff to spread for almost a year now. I have come to the realization I have crappy lighting 4x 48" 40 Watt flourescent bulbs (2 actnic). So I am going to get a MH setup. Will this help this algae grow at all?

i dont know if coraline is light sensitive or not, but i hope you find out and can prove and or dis-prove some theory's cause i sure would like mine to spread...

Some of it,some of it aint.
I've got as much coraline in the shady parts of my tank,as I do the lighted spots.
The key to coraline,is water quality.Keep the nitrates and phosphates down,calcium,alkalinity,and magnesium up,that stuff will grow.

Yote got you covered. You light is fine for coralline growth. What are your calcium, alk, mag and phosphate levels?

Temp also play a role...I believe higher temps slow the growth down, and milder temps grow steady....+ 1 to the above posts.

Coralline does grow better in a stronger light. Your water quality plays a big part. Coralline is a calcium based algae so you need to have calcium and alkalinity. I havent found temps playing a big roll but it very well might... interesting.

phosphates and nitrates will also affect the growth rate.

coraline just does not grow in my 75. it was crazy in my 50. my 75 has been running a littler over a year and the only thing that grows coraline is the rocks and on the overflow but not on the glass and i am not going to complain about that.

coraline just does not grow in my 75. it was crazy in my 50. my 75 has been running a littler over a year and the only thing that grows coraline is the rocks and on the overflow but not on the glass and i am not going to complain about that.

YOU LUCKY RASCAL:mrgreen:

Back