Coralline Algae

steve

Reefing newb
So im wanting to introduce coralline algae into my system. I have plenty of rock that used to be dead. I have a turbo snail that has a small amount on his shell and was curious if it will be sufficient enough to seed the tank. My tank has zero phosphates, calcium at 420, and zero nitrites/nitrates. And also, what is the growth rate of coralline algae and how long should it take before i start to see expansion?

The best way to get coraline in your system is to buy a small piece of rock with it on it. They scrub it with a toothbrush to spread the spores around. Your levels are perfect for growth, but it will grow faster if you light is more blue than white

The best way to get coraline in your system is to buy a small piece of rock with it on it. They scrub it with a toothbrush to spread the spores around. Your levels are perfect for growth, but it will grow faster if you light is more blue than white

The lighting in my system is perfect for growth, I use 2 10 watt, 50/50 coralife mini compact fluorescent bulbs. I do not have a very good LSF where i live so where could i get a piece of rock online for cheap?

Uhh . . . just fyi, that is not a great light for corals, at most, and maybe not even then, you can keep softies with it. But the compact fluorescent bulbs are bluer, which is better for coraline growth.

Uhh . . . just fyi, that is not a great light for corals, at most, and maybe not even then, you can keep softies with it. But the compact fluorescent bulbs are bluer, which is better for coraline growth.
Oh i know its not best for corals, this is why i have none in my tank, only fish. At most i may do a mushroom or two, but even still im nervous about that in the way of lighting, but for now, until i can afford to upgrade my 55 gal. FW tank to SW i plan to only keep fish but would love the addition of coralline algae

Last edited:
Back