Coralline question

nensley

Reefing newb
I am finally getting some coralline growth on my back glass now. And on my powerheads and skimmer. I have been removing the powerheads and skimmer every month when I do a water change and cleaning them. Should I still take them off and clean them thoroughly with the coralline growing on them? TIA!

i do. i clean mine about every 3-6 months. the coralline can actually overgrow the water intakes and restrict the pumps flow and performance. i just run them for about an hour in a vinegar and water mix and run them for another hour in just water to get all of the vinegar out of them.

Sadly,I don't clean my very often at all.If I'm lucky once every 3 months maybe.All I do is clean it with freshwater and an old hair brush.

I only pull off what I can visibly see. Coralline is great stuff and is not a nuscance to me. I have never noticed restricted flow. my powerheads are pretty strong and do not seem to grow it where the water pushes through fast. Just me though. I do notice that my mexican turbos crawl all over them so I think they take care of it for me

-Doc

i am talking about where they PULL water through, not where it pushes the water out. if they dont get enough water IN they can not push it out where they are rated to. i use a pretty high calcium salt so i get crazy coralline growth on everything.

I hear you and I have never had either end of a powerhead become obstructed with coralline in 3 years. If you feel comfortable with cleaning them, more power to you. I would not use any cleaning agent other than a wire brush and some warm water. Even though you run it through water after your vinegar bath, you never know what may stay in it. better safe than sorry.

-Doc

Back