Coralline Stimulator and calcium ques..

damigs

Reefing newb
I have a friend whos been using Coralline Stimulator for a few months now. His calcium levels checked out high a few weeks back when he got it tested at LFS. They recommended he stop adding calcium for a week so that calcium levels will deplete and come back down. During that time he still added Coralline Stimulator twice a week. Just yesterday he lost 4 chromies, 1 cleaner shrimp and 2 fire fish all in one day. He got another water test and his calcium level were even higher than last time at a dangerous level even thou he hasn't added any calcium. His corals are doing fine so far but its strange how fish one day to the next died.

My question is does Coralline Stimulator raise Calcium? If so is this the cause of the problem he is having?

All other parameters are normal and safe. Just his Calcium.... :question:

have him check his alkalinity.

if he has a high level of calcium as the corals and coralline use the calcium they are also using the alkalinity, so if he isn't replacing/supplementing that it can very easily drop very fast.

Not sure if that is it or not, but i would defenitly make sure his alk is between 3-5 meq/l.

also if testing show the right amount of calicum there is no need to dose the tank till a test result show below the proper level.

Read the helpful articles on calcium and alkalinity. Your friend may very well need to let the imbalance run its course. sometimes water changes will not correct a problem only delay the cycle of the imbalance. Also I strongly agree with others, DO NOT ADD ANYTHING TO THE SYSTEM THAT IS NOT NEEDED. A firm understanding of saltwater chemistry is needed in order to accelerate functions in the maturing of a saltwater system. Being patient is the best advise I could give your friend and proper water changes in the right amounts with seasoned fresh salt water change out, and a good quality make up water. Helpful articles address most of these items. Browse the articles and direct your friend there for some helpful information. Just doing something because it works is not a formula for long term success. Some things may work in the short term but will be harmful in the long term if continued. With out more information on the system and a detailed list of maintenance items your friend has or uses It is difficult to tell what the actural problem is. My initial opinion is to get a calcium test with an know good test kit to verify correct readings, and if correct to stop all calcium additions until the calcium levels indicate a need for more calcium, say under 400. I am curious if there are not other imbalances also, salinity, ph, alkalinity, oxygen level, co2 levels, etc. good luck hope something here helps.

Coraline Stimulator

Without knowing the exact product name and manufacturer Im not sure which product you are referring to. However, if using a product such as Purpleup, your calcium will definitely be affected. I would think that the additon may just be the problem. Also some accelerators also have other ingredients such as iodine, etc. I would suspect if your friend is adding supplements with iodine also it could be part of the problem too. Hard to say without add infomation. Stop ALL additions at this point and only if absolutely needed adjust water parameters by doing water changes only.

Back