Coralline Turning Orange?

Hiker4twenty

Reef enthusiast
What would cause my red, pink and purple coralline to start turning bright orange in some spots? Is it dying or could something like asterina stars be eating it?

ive also concluded its the asterinas so now i kill the little f***ers anytime i see em.

oh and in my experience with this... it turns orange then grey/white in a day or two and dies.... i dont know what it is but its very frustrating.

OH MY LORD!!!! WHY DIDNT YOU SAY SOMETHING THREE POSTS AGO!!!! I FEEL LIKE A CRAZY PERSON!!!

Sorry! :yikesu: I didn't see the post from July but do remember the one from a few weeks ago. It sounded like you had it figured out.

I dediced to leave the asternia alone but now I'm wondering if that's a smart move. Do they multiply quickly?

Sorry! :yikesu: I didn't see the post from July but do remember the one from a few weeks ago. It sounded like you had it figured out.

I dediced to leave the asternia alone but now I'm wondering if that's a smart move. Do they multiply quickly?

no worries im not actually angry its just ironic... id just concluded it was asterinas because it was the most valid theory at the time... now im more confident with that answer

I'm thinking its the asterina's as well. I tested my levels and Alk is at 10dkh, calc is at 420 and mag is at 1350 so that's not what's causing it to turn orange.

Ive seen a few spots in my tank on occasion that are bright orange. Not sure what it is...Usually those lil stars leave behind white coraline at least in my tank. Thats why ill be buying a harlequin shrimp asap...prolly friday. Those are worth buying even if i have to buy a starfish every now and again to keep him alive. Asterina's are a PITA, and all over my tank, time to say goodbye to those lil shitz

The instant I see an asterina I pick it out with tweezers. I hunt them at night when the come out. They were once all over my rock and now I hardly see one a month.

If you want coralline to grow, keep calcium and especially alkalinity high.

I posted this a while ago I think on Dana's post about em. I've pulled those stars off my rock b4 and the coralline is bright orange. next day or so that same spot will be white, dead.

uh--I think I have some of those in my "recent disaster" tank...(see : Questions...Questions" on Water Quality thread...)

Don't you know that is one of the few things to survive....are they like little tiny six "legged" starfish?......We were watching them and thinking they were so cute.....My daughter was actually jealous...hahahahaha

Yeah I hate them. I've only had a few but they were mowing through my coraline, I just followed the patches of missing purple. :grumble:

Been hunting them down at night with tweezers myself.

I have a couple gray patches on my rocks that coraline won't touch. Don't know what that's about, it's like the coraline is kept at bay by some invisible substance I can't see.

I have some coraline and asterinas and I haven't ever noticed my coraline going or lines through it. I'm trying to get more coraline though so maybe I need to get rid of the asterinas as well.

BAM got a decent pic of it for once...btw harlequin shrimp will be here Wed!

IMG_1477.jpg

Back