coralline

devicore16

Reefing newb
i want to grow more corallines... i bought LR's fully covered with corallines but it seems that its not spreading.. what should i do? i have enough lighting too.. i want every stone to be in pink. help pls.. does it mean my tank is not healthy..?

I've heard it said the blue actinics help although marine biologists have found red coralline growing at 600 feet --explain that.

I have found that calcareous rock can make a huge difference. I've had traditional LR in my tank and coralline has been slow growing. I added 8 pounds of white branch coral that I collected and cured myself only a few months ago and the red, pink and purple coralline has grown at an amazing rate. I've also noticed that many highly calcareous shells I've added become almost completely covered with purple coralline in only a month. I've tried calcium additives and not seen any dramatic results on the traditional LR. BTW, rock that was buried or in the shade saw little or no coralline.

you need good calcium levels and good lighting. if you want to get it growing good, then take a soft bristle tooth brush and gently brush the coraline and anywhere those spores land new coraline will grow

Coralline needs stable levels of calcium (380-420), alk (6-8 dKH) and Magnesium (1300-1350). Maintain those levels and the coralline will grow. Also keep in mind that phosphate inhibits calcification, so if you have any phosphate is can/will stop coralline from growing.
Lighting is the least important. I have coralline in my tank under 3x175 MH's and also in my sump which is lit by a 75w 6500K screw in bulb from HD.

So - I have the opposite problem - the stuff is EVERYWHERE - and I don't want it on the front pane of glass... how do you all remove it?

I've got a mag float and it gets gunk off - but not the coralline - I'm currently using the edge of an old credit card, but that method is PAINFUL - Yote -Ill try your way... THNX

I swear by what Daugherty says, it's called the EZ blade. You can find them online, they are cheap. AWESOME!! They just attach to the mag float.

Back