Corals & Activated Carbon

I think, from what you have said so far, your nitrates are the biggest concern. Your nitrates are too high for most corals. Work on getting them down by doing water changes, and I bet your corals will start to look happier.

I would tell you never to use a PH buffer.

If your PH is off it may be something else and 7.8 is not something you need to start trying to fix and especially not with a buffer of PH Up or any junk like that.

2 problems that i think are the main problem, from all the help you gave me here.
The first and most is the tap water here in NY. I have ordered the RO system to solve this problem. Second is the Petco advise to keep the salinity on 1.022 or even 1.021. I found out that corals needs to be under 1.024 - 1.026. Now i have added the missing salt and it's a bit above the 1.024.

The lights also been changed to have better condition for my reef tank.

So what lights did you get? How deep is the tank and how far down are the corals? Scratch that because there are so many, many types of corals with different needs. I have Zoas that grow only down low and some that grow only near the MH so go figure.

Petblow sucks. They are not a saltwater specialty store so find one and even so come here to ask stuff before you listen to anyone in a store.

I know many actual reefer at the stores but at first I got dumb advice.

1.022 is too low although I at one time had it like that but nothing died but I am sure it wasn't happy.

What salt do you use? I use Reef Crystals. I mix 40 Gal at a time and know that 40 Gal of Water with 23 Cups of salt equals 1.026. I don't even have to check anymore but I do just in case.

I try to mix it like that because my tank always seems to get down to 1.025 in 2 weeks. Saltcreep I suppose but I knock it back in sometimes and then I have to mix my salt a hair less at that time.

Yeah good job with the RO. It is probably the best thing you can do for yourself. I always see people with jugs at the store which is ok but I like to see my water myself, plus if I need to make any fine adjustments I can.

That was my favorite purchase behind my scraper I got from Bulk Reef that glues onto my glass scrubber. Never had such clean corners and glass for so long between cleanings.

Back