Corals and Questionable Fish

Samhain

Satin, Lace, and Sequins
Would corals like Xenia and Kenya Tree corals (and other rapidly spreading, hard to control corals) be ok in a tank with questionably reef-compatible fish like Lemonpeels, some of the larger angels, and other coral nibblers? I ask because a lot of those corals and fish are sooooo beautiful, and I would love to have both of them someday. But everyone says stay away from the corals because they take over your tank, and stay away from those fish because they eat up your corals (unless you're running a coral-free tank, of course). So could they be together, with the nibblers controlling the spread of the tank-hogging corals? Or is it all just wishful thinking????:question:

It depends on the individual fish. I've also been told that most of the coral eating fish taned to favor less noxious softies and LPS corals, while leaving SPS mostly alone. The LFS I dealt with when I was putting corals in a tank with my Majestic Angel sugguested SPS corals or LPS corals with a strong sting (such as brain corals). My Majestic was a model citizen for the first 5 months I had it, then it proceeded to eat all my paly's / zoa's and then zeroed in on my clam. It also picked on my Kenya Tree, and it didn't look very good until I took the Angel out of tank

The Majestic is now back at my LFS

I think it really depends on the individual fish. Some are more prone to eating certain corals than others, so might find you get a fish that totally ignores the xenia or one that loves it so much it totally devours it.

If your angels pick on corals, they will decimate the coral population, though it may take a longer time. Remember that angels eat a lot.

I have lots of corals in my tank and my lemonpeel doesn't mess with them. I just make sure to feed her well and give her seaweed snack every afternoon.

My lemonpeel ate my SPS and left my LPS and softs alone.
And I say if you like the xenia, go for it. I had some in my tank and I loved it..

Back