Corals are amazingly resilient!

BL1

So, this galexia was originally in my nanocube, before I took that tank down I had a one month blackout done on it. When I moved the galexia went right into my sump because I couldn't find room in my DT for it (It's huge). In total, the coral spent FIVE months without any source of light. I finally made room for it in the DT on Oct 2nd, here's what it looked like (pretty bleached and not opening well)
BleachedGalaxia-2.jpg

Less then 2 weeks later (Oct 11) it's already started getting color back
LessBleachedGonio-5058.jpg

And today (Oct 16) It's actually looking pretty good and very close to it's old coloration.
16OctGalexia-5061.jpg

They are!!!!! Great save B! I lost a few corals in the reef for weeks at a time and they will suddly appear and they always come back....very nice piece!

Lol funny you should mention. my roomate got pissed at the aptasia infestation in his tank, and decided to let it evaporate. His HID ballast went out about a week later and he went back to the original hood then just turned it off. Feather duster made it 2 months. Grandis survived till he dumped it out. and there were a few shrooms that stuck around for a long time. The crazy thing was he had a blue damsel that made it a 2 months no light, no water changes, no food, water evaporated down half the tank... it was amazing to see how long that what stuck around.

Thanks everyone!

That's good but not all corals are so resilient.

Obviously not all corals would have been able to make it 5 months with out light and then recover so quickly without being acclimated back to the light. The point I was trying to show is that we look at corals as these fragile creatures that we keep but, they can handle a lot more then we usually give them credit for.

I didn't mean you Brian, I meant KDB's story, poor damsel and feather duster in evaporating water without food. I just meant I didn't see anything to "lol" about with that story.

I agree Sarah! That story was awful! Would you leave a dog in your house with no food, no bathing and no affection? No that would be considered animal neglect. Ugh people.... Just bc its a "fish" doesn't mean it has no feelings and doesn't suffer.

I agree Sarah! That story was awful! Would you leave a dog in your house with no food, no bathing and no affection? No that would be considered animal neglect. Ugh people.... Just bc its a "fish" doesn't mean it has no feelings and doesn't suffer.

I regularly refuse sales to people who don't care what happens to their fish. One dude comes to mind who wanted to put and oscar in his community tank. "Oh... I don't care if they fight or get eaten"
Guess what? I do. Goodbye.

Back