Corals for Beginners?

bangbangkhan

Reefing newb
My tank will be reef ready in 2 weeks...fingers crossed...

I need some advise regarding the initial type of corals that i should put in the tank? Calcium level right now is hovering around 450 ppm and 12 dKh.

I want to put in something that has some vibrant colors....and something that can tolerate fluctuations in water conditions..,no mushrooms!

Cheers

I love my open brain coral, ive beaten him horribly and still is kicking. The fun part is feeding him! Pulsing zenias also are fun for beginners, until they over take your tank

Boring, they suck. Green star polyps. Im fragging these things and getting 5 bucks a plate. They grow like weeds, not worth the chore. Keep in mind brain coral and open brain coral are completely different, if you didnt know....

You may not be able to order from LA, but it will give you an idea of what things to look at for beginner corals. With a Vega color, lighting wont be an issue, you can keep basically whatever you want light wise

On a side note, what do you think of the Vega color? I currently have 3 Sol Super Blues that may get upgraded, I'm just looking for some more real world experience with them first but from what I have read, its an incredible fixture at the price point

Mario Let me know how much shipping would cost to send one of your frags to MD and we can talk, send through Pay Pal or something.

You may not be able to order from LA, but it will give you an idea of what things to look at for beginner corals. With a Vega color, lighting wont be an issue, you can keep basically whatever you want light wise

On a side note, what do you think of the Vega color? I currently have 3 Sol Super Blues that may get upgraded, I'm just looking for some more real world experience with them first but from what I have read, its an incredible fixture at the price point

I love my vega...they are really compact in size and plus the wireless controler makes life so much each(it has to be pluged in a powersource though). But after the director is released you can monitor and control through a computer additionally it will give you even more customization options.

Your can control each light and color seperately and these lights are bright! Mine are set to 40% right now and they compare to a T5 of one of my friends.

Just so you know this is my first reef aquarium and my first LED so I have limited experience. But I did read reviews on reefcentral.com

I am going to be adding some corals next week and will let you know how they look and react but for now the tank looks beautifull and the shimmer is awesome!

Back