Corals not looking to good.

Adam Picard

Reefing newb
So Its been a week now since I did a Red Slim Algae Chem dose and now my corrals are not looking all that great. I have checked my Paramaters and everything is in check other then my starfish has completely died off into a slimy mess that I'm still trying to clean up.

Issues:

Zoo Polyp not opening up fully and not looking bright green
Kenya tree not branching out staying small as if the lights are off.
Red Sun corals refusing to open
LPS not at full size keeping its arms small

everything else looks fine and healthy.

Any help with this would be great. I am planning to do a Waterchange this afternoon.

Starfish melting is usually caused by high nitrates. Also, did you do a water change after you used the red slime remover? Also, did you check that it was reef safe? I personally don't know anything about that product.

Yes I did a 20% waterchange and this was the second time I have had to use it in my reef tank. I made sure it was a reef safe chemical before I bought it.

I did however change the water with lfs saltwater that they sell compaired to making my own as my ro system was down for maintenance.

Those products can and will on occasion crash a tank or damage your reef. Not every tank and not every time, but it is a possibility. Water change, water change, water change

Just for reference, I just dosed my tank with ChemiClean which is a red algae remover, did the 20% water change two days after I dosed (skimmer was off during those two days) and now a few days later, everything is fine with mine.

You may have not miscalculated. It has been known to kill things and crash tanks, even when people follow the directions. I'm not sure why, but that's one reason why I don't recommend it as a way to combat cyano -- it's unpredictable and can have negative consequences.

The only thing you really can do at this point is water changes. I'd start doing them every day or every other day.

That will be my plan, and to add to my issue my snails are re-decorating on me and I just when to look at my tank after 4 hours and the rocks were all over the place and on some of the kenya's.........not gonna lie for this being my birthday my tank isn't making it a good one.

Happy Birthday!

I may have been a lucky one. This is the second time I have used ChemiClean and both times had excellent results but it may just be random on who gets picked. You didn't put too much in did you? Suppose dto be one scoop per 10 gallon. My 75 I only put in seven.

I actually put in 1 less scope this time then I did last time as I recalculated my tank water and my 65gal only has about 50 in it. last time I put 6 scoops in

Back