Corals overtaking

Josh

Reefing newb
Hello everyone, I just had a quick question that keeps popping up on quick growing coral. I keep reading that people are having a hard time when their coral grows to quickly. Mostly gsp and xenia. I have both of these corals and yea they are growing kinda quick but what is so wrong with that?! I enjoy doing maintenance with my reef and all I see is frags in the making to trade in at the LFS.

It's not maintenance to keep those corals at bay, it's warfare. They are very cheap corals and trade in is very little if any for low end. For most, it cost more money in fuel to trade in than the coral is worth.

Btw, was that a statement or a question?

People don't want to waste room on cheap (and eventually you might even find them ugly) coral. Eventually people want to move on to more difficult corals that are much prettier.

It's not maintenance to keep those corals at bay, it's warfare. They are very cheap corals and trade in is very little if any for low end. For most, it cost more money in fuel to trade in than the coral is worth.

Btw, was that a statement or a question?

I really didn't want to say anything but my friend you can go pound sand.. My reef is a 12 gal that is 3 months old. I am 100 percent new to the hobby and I am very happy on how it is progressing. There is less then a 1k invested into my set up which is pocket change. If I knew what I was doing I would of go all out on a 200 gal. This tank is a learning experience for future builds. I am on this forum for advice and opinions, not negativity. Regardless of this post I don't care if I get deleted because I can Google anything in about half a minute. Take a step into the realm in which I master and I will surely run circles around you all day and consistently make money. Ooooh and by the way my reef is doing pretty good so far.

People don't want to waste room on cheap (and eventually you might even find them ugly) coral. Eventually people want to move on to more difficult corals that are much prettier.

Hey thanks for your feed back, like I mentioned in most of my post I am still pretty new and there is much to learn. I think that just having a functional system that I am happy with my cheap corals lol although I do have 1 nice one. So I definitely see your point. I have a problem positioning and finding the right spot for my coral. Takes a few tries lol I don't think I'm ready for more advanced corals yet. I'm still amazed seeing the torch eat let alone more advanced corals

I really didn't want to say anything but my friend you can go pound sand.. My reef is a 12 gal that is 3 months old. I am 100 percent new to the hobby and I am very happy on how it is progressing. There is less then a 1k invested into my set up which is pocket change. If I knew what I was doing I would of go all out on a 200 gal. This tank is a learning experience for future builds. I am on this forum for advice and opinions, not negativity. Regardless of this post I don't care if I get deleted because I can Google anything in about half a minute. Take a step into the realm in which I master and I will surely run circles around you all day and consistently make money. Ooooh and by the way my reef is doing pretty good so far.
they are my opinions and not negativity. Don't get ass hurt for no reason, soft skin breaks easy in the saltwater.
you posted something and got an answer. You have cheap corals that don't look like they are doing well as posted multiple times with the same question.
Bigger tanks are much easier than nano thanks, go Google that. It is the money I think is the problem. I totally get your new to the hobby with ' what wrong with doing maintenance to a low quality coral tank' statement.

Last edited:
Hey thanks for your feed back, like I mentioned in most of my post I am still pretty new and there is much to learn. I think that just having a functional system that I am happy with my cheap corals lol although I do have 1 nice one. So I definitely see your point. I have a problem positioning and finding the right spot for my coral. Takes a few tries lol I don't think I'm ready for more advanced corals yet. I'm still amazed seeing the torch eat let alone more advanced corals

Just be sure that you aren't moving the corals too often as that can stress them out. That could be a reason why the corals aren't doing too well. If you move them around, make sure the changes aren't too drastic and keep them in that position for 2-3 weeks at least before moving them again.

If its only a 12 gal, how can you have a problem with placement? Just about any basic t5 should cover the whole tank right? Water flow could be covered with one powerhead right? idk I had a 20 gal for my first tank and it was nothing but a headache. Way too many swings in water parameters. I agree with everyone on the planet when they say pulsing zania is a terrible coral, definitely beginner. Yeah its cool how it moves on its own, but give it time. It will block other corals from moving/spreading and it will dominate your tank. Josh just for the reference you're involved in a hobby that has a lot of criticism and most people on these forums are way more advanced and skilled than you are currently. So far what was said is pretty true. Burn the zania while you can.

Back