Corals staying in??

Angelajean

I know that I don't know
Is this normal? If not any ideas would help.

Today, I have several corals that have decided to stay in:
1 piece of GSP, the others are out
finger leather
devil's hand
1 of my toadstool

My other toadstools are out, mushrooms zoos all seem fine. Yesterday, my ammonia, nitrates and nitrites were all 0. Salinity is 1.026. Temp 78. My pH is 7.8 so I buffered it.

Could this be the problem?

Thanks

How/why did you buffer it? You really shouldn't have to do that with such a large tank plus the sump.

Either way, as long as your parameters are in line I wouldn't worry about just one day. If you start to see some die off then you know there's a problem but corals can be finnicky and stay closed sometimes.

a pH of 7.8 is a fine pH and I wouldnt mess with it. The problem with buffers is that rapidly increase your ph (not good for your tank) and then it will continue to fall back to its normal level.

i keep mine about 7.8 at the lowest and 8.2 is as high as it gets and i got a few sps corals that are growing like weeds,i dose aragamilk every other day at 10 drops and that keeps my cal and mg up for right now

I only buffered it with a small dose of Kent's pH buffer, 1 tsp per 20-30 gallons and I added only 1 tsp because I wasn't sure. I do not think the RO/DI water was buffered before we used it for top off.

Do I have this wrong that RO/DI water should be buffered?

Update my toadstool is out today. The devil's hand, finger leather and the one mat of GSP are still closed. I guess time will tell. They do this every once in awhile.

I never even measure pH. The salt should buffer pH on its own, the sand will help as well as the rock.

I probably haven't measured pH since the first few weeks I set up the tank.

Back