Corals that like high nutrients

Gdbyrd

life's a beach
I'm running my tank without a skimmer. I do 7% water changes weekly, and drop a bag of carbon in the tank for a week or so out of the month. My nitrates right now are at 0, but the tank hasn't been running all that long. I'm interested in getting something that'll do OK with slightly high nitrates.

My tank is a 47g tall, tank depth is 33". I have a 150w MH for lighting.

If anyone wants to toss out a list or so, so that I have something to plan off of that'd be great!
Currently:
Frogspawn, zoas, button polyps, xenia, and some kind of clove looking coral that forms hard tubes..got it from my dad when he took his tank down so I don't really know much about it.

Here's a pick of the tank before I had the MH on it.
IMG_1004.jpg

Thank you!

You should be fine with anything man(- the more picky SPS), but def take into consideration your depth. prolly nothing but shrooms and other low light corals at the bottom. Could prolly try a more hardy SPS toward the top later on tho if you feel like it :)

I hate to disagree but I do not feel that SPS will fair well in a high nutrient system. If they stay alive, they will be brown as poop. I think leathers, zoos, colt corals, sun coral, acans, and leathers would be okay though. I also think cyano will grow very nicely in a tall tank unless you get some more flow in there.

I hate to disagree but I do not feel that SPS will fair well in a high nutrient system. If they stay alive, they will be brown as poop. I think leathers, zoos, colt corals, sun coral, acans, and leathers would be okay though. I also think cyano will grow very nicely in a tall tank unless you get some more flow in there.

Lol, thanks on the Cyano. I'd had the tank setup previously for almost a year without any bad algae issues. I had been using the sureflow modded pumps before, but right now I'm trying to look into what koralia pump I should buy. Can't decide if I should get the nano 425gph pumps or get the higher up ones. I want small pumps and not a lot of them in there. Maybe 3 of them max. There's just not a lot of room in a tall tank. What's your suggestion on the size to get?

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm not a big fan of leathers, they are so plain looking. I do enjoy LPS though, SPS was out of the question anyhow. Not something I was interested in.

Goniopora I've been reading on. I had kept one before that didn't do well, but when I received it, it already had a big quarter sized area with brown jelly. They're beautiful corals and it'd be great to keep them.

Are there any LPS that are sensitive to water quality?

Gonioporas can be difficult to keep, a lot of people aren't very successful with them. If you like them you could also look at Alveoporas they look similar but have a greater success rate then the gonios

Gonioporas can be difficult to keep, a lot of people aren't very successful with them. If you like them you could also look at Alveoporas they look similar but have a greater success rate then the gonios

The easiest way to tell the difference between the two is the number of "petals" right? The Alveos have more? Or is it the other way around?

Sucks, I went to my LFS today with the intent to buy SOMETHING...but they had nothing. I'm hesitant to buy anything there..what they did have was half dead, cyano everywhere, and everything there is 45$. Even a rock with a single mushroom.

Back