correct hydrometer?

MamaJones

proud reefer!
Does algae growth on the hydrometer effect the salinity reading? And how much? I have just a hang on the side type.

I have tried to remove the hydrometer and wash the algae off, but now there is a teensy starfish that we found and I don't want it to die. I can't figure out a way to get him out without possibly killing it ( I don't know the species..it is about 3/8in small) But, I think that it can't get out unless it gets lucky and finds the hole it climbed into anyway.

Any ideas on what to do?

Swish it around in the tank. The starfish will come loose and you can pour it out.

Put the hydrometer in the sun for a few days and dry it out. Then rinse the dried algae off under hot water.

I use a floating glass hydrometer. The kind that looks like a glass thermometer with the little green painted stripe to let you know where the sweet spot is.

I would clean it and then take it out between uses. Always rinse between using, because the salt will build up and give you bad readings.

Hydrometers will very easily give you wrong readings. Leaving it in the tank will ensure this. Oscarsdad is right, you should clean the hydrometer off with fresh water in between every use.

Even with regular cleanings, hydrometers should be replaced about every 6 months because of their tendency to give faulty readings after a while.

Even better, you should buy yourself a refractometer. They run about $40 to $50 (I got mine at Drs. Foster and Smith).

thanks for the advice everyone! I know that a refractometer is best but right now I can't afford one.

I'll swish it and dry it out later today....and then I'll leave it out like y'all said.

Thanks again!

Back