Correct me if I am wrong...

Doc

I don't work for anybody
As a general rule, you are to only have 1 of the same species of fish as time in your tank. Isn't this the case? I know when I have tried to add an additional Regal Tang to my tank, no matter the size, he just plain ol' beats the hell out of him. In fact, we are to avoid putting in fish of the same size and color of other fish to avoid territorial fighting, right?

That being true, how is it that I have seen SO MANY tanks with multiple fish of the same species in it, like multiple Regal Blue Tangs, Yellow Tangs, a freaking school of damsels, etc. How is it done? I have heard that you can have more than one of a species in an "extra large" tank. Like 265 or bigger. Yet, I have seen it done is tanks much smaller. What is the secret?

Now then, correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me that it can be done by adding BOTH of the desired specimins, of roughly the same size, at the same time? Does this really work? Have any of you actually tried it and been successful? These are the questions that keep me up at night. In the name of science, I MUST have an answer.

Please help me out if you have ideas. I beg of those of you who are vastly more experienced and, dare I say, "smarter" (Yote?) than I to answer this question for me. My surprise cannot fully be realized until I have this answer. Hint...Hint.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

PS - Yote, I tease cuz I care...

Common sense would tell me if you add two fish that are scared as hell (via transport from an LFS to home) and introduce them to a new enviroment at the same time the least of there worries is territory. With that being said doc you have a extremly unique tank that is vary well established with semi-aggressive fish. Even though your tank is so large it is pretty well maxed out stock wise..... You may be under the fish per gallon law but they have been in there so long they dont want any new comers. Its time to upgrade tank size if you want more fish..... Introduce them all (new and old fish) at the same time to a new home. And if you do buy a new tank please make sure its bigger than biffs. lol!

PS - Yote, I tease cuz I care...

Love you to Doc:beerchug::mrgreen:

I think Hawk is right for the most part.Your tank is so established that the fish you already have their family bonds in place and any new comers are looked at as interlopers.
As for how to get past that,Like Hawk said,Bigger tank.

Thats my :twocents: worth.

I really don't have an answer for you Doc.I planning on experimenting like you, here soon.Like Hawk and Yote said,go bigger-241 gallon and up.

I recognize the need for a bigger tank, and agree, yet I am hoping to upset the fish balance by removing a few key players and mixing up the rock work and adding new corals. If I can give it a new look and feel, maybe they will let in the newcomers, if the are all added at the same time the rocks are re-done. I will still stay under the fish limit by removing two or even three of my current fish - it is SOOOO worth the risk, when you see what I have up my sleeve. I am getting moist just thinking about the mere possibility of success with my random thoughts. In fact, I couldn't sleep last night as I was planning my masterpiece. Damn...I love fish.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

wow doc your begining to make me all hott and bothered..... I wish you the best of luck on the rearrrangement..... I guess its worth a shot (your money not mine), my only suggestion would be to remove all the fish and reintroduce them at the same time. Let us know how it goes doc. i will keep my fingers crossed for you.

it is possible. I have done this (not only in the 850)

is it another angel or 2 maybe imperator? Geez, I'm not going to sleep tonight the excitement is rising....:)

Back