Correct me if im wrong

Fastlight

Semper FI
I was on rc website the other day checking out there totm thread. What is it with the SPS tanks? Trust me they look great but it seems like that was 90% of their totm winners. Are LPS and softies not good enough? I love the way softies look and am not the biggest fan of sps. Is it hard to mix lps and sps? I just wonder because maybe im not seeing why they seem to be the god of tanks. Id like to hear what you all think.........

ummm i dont really go to RC so i'm not familiar with their totm rules, etc. But i dont care whats in the tank as long as its done right and it looks good. All those things are part of nature so to me they are all worthy of winning.

most people dont really mix a heavy amount of both because of there drastic difference in water flow and lighting needs. as for why the large majority of the TOTM tanks are SPS dominated could really be any reason but i think its because most of the voters like tanks that are sps dominated

Personally, I like a lot of LPS, a little SPS (saw an awesome Oregon Blue Acro today 0 $90 for a 1/2" frag ... it stayed at the store). I love the Duncans, hammers, and frogspawn in my tank. A few colorful zoanthids and your all set.

Thanks, it's a *very* generous offer. However, I think the shipping alone would be a lot. But if I get to GA in the next year or two we will have to meet up ( coral or no coral). I have family down your way, parents and Aunt/ Uncle in Dallas, brother and nieces in Kennesaw, and cousins somewhere in between.

The Oregon is incredibly blue. I'm not into much SPS but that one is really cool.

I have no idea why RC has more SPS tank make TOTM.Softies can have just as bright a colors,so can LPS.And the softies and LPS move a whole more in the current than SPS does.
But I'll admit,I love my SPS and challenges of keeping it thriving.

LPS move a whole more in the current than SPS does.

This is why I love LPS. They sway in the current. I can also target feed them and see their reaction right away. I have four SPS and they are great, but the LPS have more color and character. However, that Oregon Blue Acro ... :mrgreen:

I personally think the reason why they are all SPS tanks is not only because of the corals but the equipments as well. Most of the TOTM winners has just as many pics of their equipment as they their corals. It doesn't take much to keep a softy tank. I personally think SPS tanks are more of a work of art.

But I'll admit,I love my SPS and challenges of keeping it thriving.

And that's exactly the reason why. SPS are harder to keep than softies and LPS. Coral snobs can scoff, "Well, not just ANYONE can keep SPS!". It's true, you usually do need higher-end, more expensive equipment to keep SPS. You especially need it to keep an SPS-only tank, which most of their TOTMs are. SPS frags are more expensive than LPS or softies, and SPS colonies are in a category of their own, price wise. SPS take much longer to grow than most LPS and softies, so that also adds to the price/rarity. Pretty much anyone can have a beautiful tank full of softies and LPS and not break the bank, but there are very few people in this hobby that can afford to keep an SPS only tank that is TOTM quality.

Their price, slow growth, rarity and the fact that they are more difficult to keep than other corals is what make a lot of people think that SPS dedicated tanks are the "elites" of this hobby.

That is one of the cool things about this hobby ... you each get to build our tanks the way *you* like it, not anyone else. I am looking for a mixed reef that is heavy on LPS, Biff is talking about a zoanthid and mushroom tank (I'm working on a ten gallon for this) and Yote likes SPS. Each one gets personallized.

I guess thats what it comes down to. I would like a mixed reef. a little bit of everything. I apreciate the sps tank but like biff said you need a chunk of change to keep that kind of tank.

i have a sps dominated tank with some lps and that also what i like about this hobby, if i get some free space i can put whatever i want there and if i get tired of SPS i can change it out for softies and LPS and i can mix LPS and SPS in the same tank to my liking

hey, i have and ORA oregon tort, when its frag size ill send you a piece

Dustin, what does your tort like conditions-wise? Mines colored up nicely under 20000ks but no polyp extension. I have it under pretty strong flow. Sorry to thread jack :sfish:

Dustin, what does your tort like conditions-wise? Mines colored up nicely under 20000ks but no polyp extension. I have it under pretty strong flow. Sorry to thread jack :sfish:

Have you tryed moving it to a spot with a bit less flow?Even though SPS likes a lot of flow,not many of em like to be blasted.

i have nice softie tank, leathers are bad for sps due to chemical warfare but i have 125 softie tank(leathers and shrooms and polyps) and 75 gallon zoos, palys, ricordea tank.
I like soft corals easy to care for more forgiving if you get lazy on maintenance plus like watching them sway around with flow.

here is my 125 gallon
DSC00850.jpg

left shot
DSC00852.jpg

center shot
DSC00853.jpg

right side
DSC00854.jpg

grow like weeds and give frags away for free mostly trade coral for coral in our club so no one has to spend any money, all new reefers in our club i give stuff for free to get them going.

Nice looking tank d.french! Are those green star polyps on the upper left side? That's quite a patch of them

yup, frag them all the time, i give them away for free with kenya trees and pink star polyps which grow way to fast

Back