Cory's Mantis Tank Build

hotimportknight

New! Big Tank Club!
Just thought I'd post some stuff, havent been on here much lately. I ended up wanting to get a decent home for my mantis and decided on the Nano Cube 12g (Glass) After research I found out that the species of mantis that I have wont break glass. The Pseudosquilla ciliata is a spearer and is also called the false or rainbow mantis. It should change colors after molts to match its surroundings. I upgraded from a 4.5g to a 12 gallon with an actual filtration system. I had to reinforce the glass top of my audio tower by using 2 boards, I jumped up and sat on it, so it should hold the tank.
Here is the mantis' old tank, a 4.5 gallon tank I picked up for 1$ at an auction, lots of substrate for natural burrowing, was kinda neat but she moved the rocks all over and the substrate would fill in the holes because it was so course.
Aquarium400-1.jpg

A 2 days ago I picked up the nano cube then from Fosters and smith and got a nice pieces of PVC U shaped with another curve in it as well attached to 1 end.
Aquarium402.jpg

I ended up changing the position so it was a big loop almost with 2 ways to get in or out as that is what they like. At night this species should close up the entrance to the burrow with rock rubble which will be really interesting to see.
Here is with substrate and water in the tank:
Aquarium417-1.jpg

The LFS was closed so no more live rock until today, I went and picked up a few more lbs and a bunch of rubble for the mantis to play with.
Here is the end result aqua-scaping. Hopefully the mantis just plays with the rubble all around the burrow and not the larger rocks. I plan on adding a cheap fish or 2 to see how she gets along with friends. According to dr caldwell from berkley this species of mantis should be ok with a cleaner crew as long as they have shells, like hermits and snails. I'm testing the theory on a cheap hermit now.
Here are some more random shots of the mantis in action or the tank.
Here is where it is placed.
Aquarium414.jpg

It looks very blue/bright right now, bu tits already dimming down to a normal level.
Aquarium413.jpg

Aquarium416.jpg

Burying food (means she wasnt hungry yet, so you have to dig it out so it doesnt rot)
Aquarium419.jpg

For anyone interested in keeping a mantis as a pet, its really quite interesting. There are lots of species, some more fun than others. The best resource I found was @ reefcentral they have a special mantis section:
Reef Central Online Community - Mantis Shrimp

Yeah, last night I woke up to a wierd snapping noise. I always wake up when I hear the slightest little noise in fear there is something wrong with my tanks. So i go over to the mantis tank and its got the 1 hermit crab I was trying out pinned in a corner snapping at it. I thought it was a goner and just left him for dead, but he was walking around in the morning. Hopefully the mantis gives up sooner or later and realizes it cant kill things with shells because its a spearer... The funnest part is watching her redo her burrow how she wants it.

That is cool,Ive never seen one that close before.Boy are they ugly!!!!!!I use to keep crayfish,it reminds my of them alot.How big is yours?From the pic I'm guessing 3".

I would say its around 4" in length at least. If it were a smasher probably big enough to pop the side of that nano cube out. but its a slasher so were all good, just no hands in the tank!

What kind of mantis are you looking at? There are tons of different species, it may be one that is compatible with a regular old glass tank. The peacock mantis not included, cause they are one of the most bad ass looking mantis shrimp but they get big, and can smash things!

Oh for sure, You could fit a smaller species in there. Its acrylic too, so there wont be anything breaking that unless its a huge peacock or something, and those need like a 30+ gallon tank. Good luck, if you can find a small one they are really interesting to watch. I just added a blue and yellow damsel a few days ag and some pulsing xenia, both are all right including the hermit crab I added to test if a clean up crew would work. I'm surprised a spearer has left the little damsel alone, but so far the mantis just watches the damsel swim around...

Back