Cottonwood 125 Reef tank build

Ok cool, guess I'll start adding a bit of salt to it then as it keeps filling up. I have no idea how much water this unit will produce a day so we'll find out I guess! I got some really cool pieces of LR, I'm pretty excited, I didn't think they would be that good.

I have some dry rock I got as LR a few months ago. Its been sitting out in the sun and rain and everything. I tested some of the water they came in when i got them for copper and the test showed nothing. However this rock came with a tank and in the box of goodies in the tank was some ick treatment with copper in it that had been used. Now I don't know if it was used with that rock and like I said the test came back negative when I did it. But if I put this dry rock in SW and let it sit for a day or two. Could I then test that water to be sure there is no copper in the rock? Sorry if this is confusing. But there are a few chunks of that rock that I really like and would love to use.

Sorry, I responded in another thread -- I think you posted it somewhere else too?

I'd do what you said -- retest. If nothing comes up, you can try adding a few inverts and see if they make it. I know that sounds cruel, but copper test kits don't always detect all the kinds of copper that may be present.

Ok...I read someone else had a similar post, so I may have added to that one. Do I need to leave them in the water for a certain amount of time before I test or is 24 hrs good? I dont want to put them with the rest of my good rock until I'm sure, so I'll set them up in the tub my LR is is now once I get the LR in my tank today.

I think 24 hours is fine. There are two types of copper -- chelated and non-chelated. I believe our test kits only read one kind. If you are in doubt at all, I wouldn't risk it...

Ok thanks, I think I'll put it in and test it, then add some hermit crabs or something. How long would they last if there is copper?

Copper will usually kill slowly, especially if there's only a little of it. I'm not sure exactly... But I don't think they'd die right away if there's as little copper as there appears to be.

Ok, Thanks. Another question...All I have right now is 2 hydrometers, to check salinity. One is brand new and I read that it needs to "season" the needle by sitting 24 hrs. It is reading 1.023 right now, the other is one I got with the tank a few months ago. It is reading 1.022 right now. Is it safe to add the live rock? How hardy is it? My tank is 3/4 full right now, so I want to add the rock and start the cycle. My sand should arrive in the next day or two to add as well.

Live rock is hardy, but I wouldn't trust those hydrometers. Hydrometers need to be replaced every 6 months or so because they become inaccurate over time. Also, there will be a lot of variation even among new ones right out of the box.

You are better off spending $30 to $40 on a refractometer -- it's much more accurate and doesn't need to be replaced over time.

Yeah I was planning on getting one. I was in Phx and stopped by a great store. About the Reef. But they were closed, hadn't paid rent so the landlock locked the doors. So right now these are all I have until I can get one shipped to me. Any brand thats best? Do you think I'd be ok to put the LR in to start the cycle today?

Ok something is wrong....the tank was leveled but after adding water it looks like the water is higher on one side. It is...almost 1/2 an inch. I added shims...lots of shims, at least an inch thick on the side and it hasn't changed at all...Not one bit....why wont the water level out? I'm getting so pissed!

Edit: The tank is on carpet and it feels like it has a thick pad, but I've added, and piled up shims, it should show at least a little change, but nothing at all?!?!

Well I got the rock in there, There are a million brittle stars, I think they are. Red and white stripped and thin. Most are very small, I counted 10 but there are at least that many more I have seen since. There are also some small mushroom looking things that have a polyp looking head on them...I took a whole bunch of pictures then found out the stupid camera isn't working! So I'm going to try with my phone but it probably wont work. Very excited to have some life in there, but with my crappy lights I dont think the coral's will make it.

Also there is some red hairy stuff on the rocks, can I get something that will eat that stuff once my tank is cycled? I don't really think it looks bad, but I dont want it to take over either.

Edit: looked at pictures on google, def brittle stars, and then 3 or 4 single head of ? zoanthid's spread on different rocks

Last edited:
So there are these little tiny things that look like stars, there is a triangle one that only has 3 legs, some have 6 legs. Very small things, crawling on the glass...maybe 4 or 5 of them. What are they? Also a picture of the red hairy stuff. Sorry the camera is dead they are all off my phone.

Attachments

• IMAG0046.jpg
    IMAG0046.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 250
  • IMAG0047.jpg
    IMAG0047.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 246
Tried to get a picture of one of the polyps, also some pics of the tank...the aqua scape is my first shot at it...I kinda like it but I'm not set yet. Obviously I'm going to get more and do an island on the other side as well. Also have sand on the way from marcorocks. There are a bunch of the polyps I'm noticing more hidden around all the time. Also spotted a couple things that I think are aptasia....no bueno there.

Attachments

• IMAG0048.jpg
    IMAG0048.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 249
  • IMAG0049.jpg
    IMAG0049.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 276
  • IMAG0050.jpg
    IMAG0050.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 246
  • IMAG0051.jpg
    IMAG0051.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 238
Ok thats what I was thinking...there are a bunch of things similar to that...a few look colored green/blue and look like polyps of a sort, but a bunch look like some sort of aptasia. Some have really long thin tentacles with little balls on them, some have shorter tentacles some real long without balls. Should I get some aptasia-x and just zap everything I see?

No, not just yet. Google aiptasia and majano. Zap the guys that look like them.

Google ball anemone. Keep those guys. They are neat and usually harmless.

Back