Could This be Coralline Algae?

Tristan

Detritus
I have some algae thats growing on my rock. its a really pretty red. I dont think it's red slime because it's not slimy. it could be coralline algae but im really not sure. its so beautiful. right now it seems to be battling some green but red is winning on the rock. i have purple coraline starting to grow also. if the red happens to be coralline, would they have to battle until one dies out? i really hope the red isnt harmful.

Thanks!

I also have a whole bunch of colors growing on this rock:
12631_224897555475_537480475_4588927_5392878_n.jpg
12631_224897565475_537480475_4588928_2569426_n.jpg

Im not too sure but are all of these coralline?

I found all of these rocks at the beach.

yeap -that's coralline. I've used rock from the beach and it turned out just fine --but the rock is best if it is composed of white, dead coral skeleton. If you picked it up off a beach in Guam, it probably is. In a place like that you might consider 'live capture' or getting your fish right out of the ocean.

yeap -that's coralline. I've used rock from the beach and it turned out just fine --but the rock is best if it is composed of white, dead coral skeleton. If you picked it up off a beach in Guam, it probably is. In a place like that you might consider 'live capture' or getting your fish right out of the ocean.

the rocks here are nice but you'd have to do lots of scrubbing to get all the "other" algae off to actually see the rock itself. We have plenty of fish here that practically swim right into your hands.

Another thing about catching your own fish, make sure it is legal. I know that you said guam was really strict in their pollution efforts, they might be just as strict in the collection of fish. Dont want you to end up in trouble.... Who would be able to relax and drink a beer in guam for us:mrgreen:

haha. most types of fishing is legal. Relaxing on my huge beanbag and drinking a cold one is what I do best!

ps. fair alcohol, but no fair alcoholics.

Last edited:
Back