Couple of questions on my new tank

crm

Reefing newb
Hey all, I've posted a time or two, and asked about transporting an already established 37g tank; well I got it bought and transported successfully. Both fish (damsel and clown) made it fine, as well as the purple lobster, snail, and 4 hermits. Now that all that's done I have questions.

Firstly, here's a pic of the tank as it sets now.
e4c0caef.jpg

And now for the questions.
1, the tank has been set up for a few weeks now, and is already FILLED with green wavy moss/algae all over the rocks and sandbed. Is this normal? I ordered a good cleanup crew a day or two ago, so they oughta help, right?
Pic:
e8d74110.jpg

2, My filter keeps blowing bursts of bubbles into the tank...usually around 3 times/hour. Is that ok? It gets bubbles all over the rocks, and the fish don't seem to like it. The clown hides, and the damsel swims back and forth through them. Just want to make sure it's not hurting anything.
Pic:
eb639597.jpg

The green hair algae is typically an indication of significant amounts of nutrients that feed algae (nitrates and phosphates).
Regular water changes with RO/DI water will dilute those nutrients and should keep the algae in check.

There could be several different causes for your filter to spit out bubbles intermittently.
What filter are you using?
The filter could be collecting tiny air bubbles and over time the air pocket gets big enough and gets pumped through the system and produces this burst.
The other possibility is that there is cavitation happening within the filter system and the same thing happens. Once that pocket reaches critical mass it gets pumped out of the system.

well to my knowledge a clean up crew is always helpful. if its hair or bubble algae then i think an emerald crab is recommended for that....as for the air bubbles, my return pump shoot air bubbles when there isnt enough water so if its anything like that then it might need more water. as for the fish i do not think it is hurting anything..

someone correct me if im wrong.

Did you use use the old sand? If so did you rinse it really good? Another thing that may help is to move one of your power heads to blow more directly on the rock.

As for the CUC I do believe a emerald will work, but you should add a couple of turbo snails. They will go to town on that hair algae.

It looks like you are using a canister filter. Those things suck for saltwater. They often contribute to algae problems. I would ditch the canister filter altogether and get a protein skimmer.

That's a lot of algae. Definitely not normal.

What are your water parameters like? Specifically nitrates and phosphates...

Back