couple questions for all you experts

salt newbie01

Reefing newb
I got a chalice coral in the order that came in saturday. Do these corals need to be target fed? If not how do they get their nutrients?

My other question is more of a situation. I can not seem to get rid of "film" algae that gets on my glass. This algae comes and goes. I may have to run the magfloat over my front glass every day or I may be able to skip a couple days. And then today I did it about 11 am and by 7:30pm I needed to do it again! I mean it's not so thick that you can't see through but you can tell it's there. I can't understand out why it is so irregular. I have been using ro/di water for a couple months now for top off and 10% water changes approx every 2 weeks. My phosphates read between 0-.05. Then to top it off, over the last couple weeks I have noticed some small places of hair algae forming on my rocks. :grumble: Needless to say this is frustrating. I had noticed some hair algae on the emperor 400 and on the skimmer where water reenters the tank but it had never been in the tank. I guess I always thought if I kept my phosphates under control I wouldn't have an algae problem. And my yellow tang has not seemed to notice the hair algae yet. I hope if he notices the algae he will consume it. Do any of you guys have any ideas for me???? :frustrat: :grumble: :grumble: :frustrat:

Tested my water today
Nitrate/nitrite 0
ammonia 0
phosphate 0-.05
ph 8.2
calcium 500
temp 80

What kinda water flow do you have? If it is between 0 and .05 and not 0 I would run some type of phosphate removal media.

.03 and above = algea

Not saying that is the golden key, but would be where I started based on the info you provided.

If you really wanted to get confused, host a meeting and 10 people will show up and give you 13 different answers. :mrgreen:

What type of phosphate removal media would you suggest :question: Is there something I could put in one of my existing filters? Or will I need to set up something separate?
As far as water movement I would say It is turning over approx 23 times. I am running an emp 400 filter(400gph), magnum 350 cannister(350 gph), seio 820 ( tuned down - so I would guess around 700 gph) and a maxi jet ph - I think its around 350 gph. Plus whatever movement the seaclown skimmer produces.

From what I have been reading it looks like rowaphos is the best choice for removing phosphates - Are there any chemical down sides - like it messing with ph or alk or any thing else? It seems like I could just put it in my cannister filter - does that sound ok?

I have used two different kinds.

Aluminium Oxide (phosgaurd) by seachem
iron Oxide DR F&S brand

Both seem to work well, but some think the aluminium oxide type (white pellets) can aggrivate soft corals.

I would think the challice shouldn't require spot feeding.

Brandon

Ive been running phosguard in a phosban reactor for 6 months. I think it works good, and phosguard has a good reputation. you could put it in your canister. I have also noticed algea problems as many other people I know have recently also. I wonder if its related more to the heat of the season. I dont know if it could be related to the tank temp or maybe the temperature of the water resting in the plumbing under the house? I dont know, I also use ro water.
As for the chalice, they do spot feed but its not neccessary, If you look close they have mouths and they have short sweepers that will come out when food is put in the tank, you can squirt mysis or brine into the sweepers and they will eat it.
Good luck.
O ya, the tang probly wont ever touch the hair algae.

So how do you/we control the hair algae? Take the rock out and scrub it? I just don't want it to spread all over my tank.
Maybe my troublesome lawn mower blennie will find it. Probably not - he's too busy trying to spread sand all over my low lying corals.:grumble:

hair algae hasnt started in mine, i have a lawnmower blenny, sally lightfoot crab, and snails that keep it from starting.
you may try cutting back your lights allittle, water changes, emerald crabs, sally lightfoots. just some ideas

I knew the emerald crabs were good for bubble algae but I didn't know they and sally lightfoots were good for hair algae. Cool info to know. I like both of them. Should they leave my fleshy LPS alone? If so I may get one of each. Is one better at algae control than the other one? Thanks for the tip Brian

Well I added an emerald crab today. I will also add a sally and maybe another emerald in the next week or so. I'll see how they do. maybe they will help get it under control.

when you say stay small were you comparing that to a yard stick?

7" fish in a home aquarium aint quite the clown goby if you know what I mean.

David's expert advice = :pooh:

Maybe I missed something i don't remember him asking for a tang.

Try some snails and an upgraded skimmer, leave the colosal tang at the PS.

Back