couple questions reguarding ro/di and powerheads

Cygnus

Reefing newb
i have a 55 gal tank im working on putting together, and i currently have a ro system under my sink which has a line that goes through my cabinets to the ice maker in my refrigerator. the question i have is could i use this same system for the tank as well?, i know it doesn't have the DI filter but i was thinking maybe adding a T fitting and run a 1/4 tubing under the tank, and have the di filter mounted under there so i could also maybe setup a ATO as well. would there be any problem doing this other then the filters will probably need to be replaced more often?.

Also i have purchased 2 hydor koralia evolution 550's, and i know the rule of thumb is at least 10x tank volume/hr and up to 20x for certain corals. the two pumps will give me 1100gph and i also plan on adding a 29 gal long tank under the dt for sump/refugium figuring 400-600gph pump for that. would that be to much water flow?, or is there even such a thing?.

I can't comment on the RO question but that's not even close to too much flow. For some SPS corals you want up to 60x turnover. You are probably looking at around 20x turnover with that setup. More flow will help with algae issues and is especially important for doing LPS and SPS corals.

I wouldnt use that RO filter unless you keep up on changing the filters. Many people dont with the drinking ones. They other issue is that many pass through copper pipes after going through the filter which will cause copper to leach back into the water which is toxic to inverts.

That's what I did...I have my RO/DI filter under the kitchen sink...it has a faucet on the sink then a T to the basement, where I have another T to my ice maker and it ends at my tanks...yes you will have to change the filters more, but the only problem I have is that I don't have pressure to my faucet when I'm filling the tanks...oh well no big deal. Just make sure like little fish said, that after your RO you only use plastic line, pull out the copper stuff that is probably on your fridge right now...

Yeah, thinking I'm going to try it and see how well it goes. May end up getting a dedicated RO system if I need to. And yeah there is no copper anywhere after the RO system, it's all plastic line.

Thanks

Back