Cover for my tank

jeddy576

Reefing newb
Another fish jumped out today and i was wondering if anyone knows any websites that sell lids or should i just go to lowes and get a sheet of acrylic if they even sell them.

Lowe's sells acrylic, but it's kind of expensive. You could also look into a glass shop, they'll cut tempered glass to order, but Lowe's/Home Depot do not sell tempered glass. Lowe's/Home Depot also sell plexiglass, which is MUCH cheaper than acrylic, but even the maximum thickness they sell will warp under tank lights.

Look in the yellow pages for glass, give them a call. My glass shop is cheap, I called to get a 8 foot long by 2 foot tall it was only 70.00 or 80.00, so a small piece should be alot less.

Go to Lowes and pick up some eggcrete outta the lighting department. Its cheep ,lets light in,and lets your tank breath.

check around for a lfs in your area ie petco they sell glass tops they come with a plastic strip you just cut the portion of the stripping off to accomidate your filter, skimmer etc leave the rest, your fish will have to work really hard to get out of that, are they captive bred or caught in the wild??

The clown that jumped out yesterday was tank bred, im not sure about the others. What is better for letting light through, glass, acrylic, egg crate, or plexiglass?

The only time I see egg crate is when someone is photo aclimating corals to keep the burn off, which ever you can see through the clearest due to salt creep blocking light so I would prolly go with what I have on mine that being glass tops. Hope this helps.

I cut egg crate to fit around my overflow box and the plumbing that fits into the ledges on top of the tank. This keeps the fish from jumping out. I also have pieces of acrylic that sit on top of about 1/2 of the egg crate to reduce evaporation.

i wouldn't cover your tank with glass you need to let the tank breath for proper gas exchange. If you want to use egg crate you can find it in the lighting department at lowes. they make a reflective egg crate that looks like it's chrome plated. This will allow more light into the tank than the normal white egg crate.

Back